Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cheesy Crabby Swirls

I still had some crab meat that I eager wanted to make something with and I had a puff pastry sheet I've been wanting to use. I didn't feel like making something sweet with it. Maybe something I can snack on. Think back on those Bell Pepper Swirls, but with crab and minus the bell pepper. Sounds good, right?

I rolled out the dough, sprinkled on some cheese then the crab and tried to roll it as tightly as I can. I say tried as it can be a bit tricky sometimes to roll up the dough without is ripping on you. Then when I cut it all the filling falls out. But I managed to keep them in tact. Phew.

I pressed them lightly to get them in that disc shape. One had subtly exploded in the oven while they backed though. That didn't matter. It was still awesome! I had these as my dinner, but they can be as an appetizer or something to share with others. It's some cheesy crabby goodness

Makes 8-10 swirls depending on thickness.



Cheesy Crabby Swirls
5 oz crab meat
Shredded Cheese
1 puff pastry

Preheat your oven to 357˚F

Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and roll it out lightly. Spread the cheese and crab meat on the puff pastry and roll tightly length-wise.

Cut into 8 or 10 rolls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Press down on the swirls to make them into disc shapes.

Bake for 15-20 min.

 
 

34 comments:

Sanghi said...

Wow.. delicious swirls..!

Parita said...

Brought back some good memories..:)

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

Jenn, that's ingenious and resourceful! Puff pastry + crab + cheese is a new idea to me, too, but I sure LIKE! I'll bet these would make would make a great party appetizer, too if you made small rolls.

You are still the hardest working girl in the food blogging business. :)

Tangled Noodle said...

Forget these as appetizers - that would mean I could only have a few to 'leave room for dinner'. I'd eat them as dinner, too! They would go great with a nice salad . . .

This recipe originated because you wanted to use up a puff pastry sheet, but I'll have to buy a new box to be sure I can make it!

vanillasugarblog said...

girl how in the hell do you have leftover crabmeat? seriously.
if you don't eat all these up you better send them to me. I will have no problem downing 50 or so...

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great idea! They are so pretty!

tavolini said...

Yes, those definitely look snacky :) All things crab, cheese and swirl are good in my book!

Lana said...

Very good! These would great as an appetizer or either made into a larger tart shape for a main course. Great one, Jenn!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a terrific snack. These really sound delicious.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow yummy yummy love this give them to the set of heroes!!!

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for sticking with me Jenn! I've been loving your Facebook fan page. You're so creative. :)

Unknown said...

These look like they'd make a great hors d'oeurve, too!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I have recently discovered a love of crab and I have a feeling I need to try these!

Dewi said...

Scrumptious, I could easily eat many of these. Delicious Jenn!

Bob said...

Looks great! I need to get some puff pastry.

Unknown said...

This would be one of those things where I'd have a little bite and end up eating the whole batch.

Thistlemoon said...

Those look so good! Perfect party appetizers, or like you said - dinner!

pigpigscorner said...

I remember your swirls! This filling sounds great!

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds great! I think anything in puff pastry with cheese would be fantastic, but crab is its own category of tasty.

nora@ffr said...

wow!! cheese with crab?? yumm!! i shud try this some time sooner!!
cheers!!

Diana said...

I love savory pastries -- especially cheesy ones! Nice dish!

Heather S-G said...

Great idea! These sound like some addictive snack food :D

Jenn said...

Sanghi: Thanks

Parita: It sure does.

Kim: ;-D

Tangled Noodle: LOL.

Dawn: I just did. I cook for two people and well...the crab meat was word at least 6.

Andrea, Lana, Mary: Thanks.

TavoLini: Mine, too.

CC: Hehe...

Joie: Thanks. Welcome back.

ValleyWriter: Yes.

Nutmeg: Isn't it wonderful.

Elra, pigpigscorner: Thanks.

Bob: I try to buy them whenever i'm at the market.

HH: I'm the same way.

Jenn: I'd go for dinner instead.

Lisa: I agree.

Nora, Girlichef: Thanks.

Diana: Yes.

Donna-FFW said...

I think these sound fabulous. Great appy!

Jenn said...

Donna: Thanks.

Reeni said...

What yummy treats!!! I bet they just melt in your mouth!

Jenn said...

Reeni: ;-D

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! These remind me of an appetizer I had just the other night... Except yours look much better! I love puff pastry!

Jenn said...

Jen: hehe...

test it comm said...

Those swirls look so good!

Jenn said...

Kevin: Thanks.

OysterCulture said...

I love crab and these look amazing, just put a plate in front of me with a nice glass of wine and I'm good.

Jenn said...

Oyster: A glass of wine with this sounds really good.

www.cocinas.tv said...

Thanks so much for this post, quite effective info.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger