Search Bread + Butter

Friday, September 25, 2009

Roasted Eggplant Panini


There's nothing like a good panini.  And I think this panini speaks for itself. For this one, I roasted some eggplant slices in the broiler lightly seasoned with some salt and pepper. Took some slices of bread, provolone cheese, fresh slices of tomato and basil leaves and some avocado. Oh, and I lightly spread some balsamic vinegar on the breads, too. I used my Georgie grill for press the sammies to perfection. That thing is really handy.

You can toast these paninis like you would a grilled cheese sandwich, too. It's the same thing. You just want to toast the outer bread and melt the cheese. So good, so delicious and full of veggie goodness.

Makes 4 medium-sized paninis.




Roasted Eggplant Panini

1 medium round eggplant - sliced 1/2 thick
4 sliced provolone cheese or your choice
1 medium tomato - sliced
fresh basil leaves
4 sandwich or panini rolls
1 ripe avocado - pitted and sliced.
salt
pepper
extra olive oil
balsamic vinegar.

Preheat your broiler.

Coat both sides of the eggplant slices with some olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper as well.

Place the slices on a baking sheet and into the broiler for 5 min or until browned. Give the slices a turn and roast for another 5 min. Then remove from the oven and let it cool.

To assemble the sandwich, spread some a little balsamic vinegar on inside slices of the bread. Layer the cheese, eggplant, a couple slices of tomato and avocado in that order. Top with the other half of the roll.

Using you panini press,  grill, skillet or oven, place the panini on the press for 5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and cheese is melted.

Serve warm.


28 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic panini. I made eggplant pizza bagels last friday--similar flavours. They were yummy.

Debbie said...

I love eggplant. I wish I were having that for lunch today!!!

MrsLavendula said...

i love grilled veggie panini!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

These paninis are gorgeous. Can you make me some for lunch? ;)

Nithya said...

Wow.. this looks too good. :)

Dewi said...

What a perfect sandwich!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Your panini is so picture perfect:) You could Panera out of business making delicious sandwiches like this:)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a close to perfect sandwich. Your photos of it are perfect. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

alecho said...

I totally agree with you... there's nothing like a good a panini. I always order panini at our hospital cafeteria whenever I forget to bring lunch. hungry...

Bob said...

Looks awesome. You know I have a press thing that I never use... I should bust that out.

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmmm, smells like lunch.

Juliana said...

Yummie, this panini looks delicious with roasted eggplant...love it!

Jenn said...

HH: Mmm...those pizza bagels sounds fantastic.

Debbie: Same here. hehe...

MrsLavendula, Nithya, Elra, Mary: Thanks.

Andrea: Sure. ;-D

Nutmeg: But I like Panera. hehe...

alecho: I like to order it when I go out, too.

Bob: You should start using it.

Duo: Indeed:

Juliana: Thanks.

lisaiscooking said...

Provolone and avocado make this crazy good. Where's my panini press?

Diana said...

I'm totally inspired - I've been meaning to do something with eggplant! This might be the thing! :)

Sasha said...

I'm dying to buy a panini press : /

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

So delish... If I get any more eggplant from my CSA, I will be giving this a try!

Jenn said...

Lisa: Hehe...

Diana: Thanks.

Sasha: No need for a panini press. you can use a skillet, too. It just won't have those grill marks.

Jen: =)

Pam said...

I really need to try eggplant again (bad experience). This sandwich looks amazing.

teresa said...

so yummy, and so pretty! i'm just barely discovering eggplant, so this would be a lot of fun!

Phyllis said...

Awesome panini pics! Good ol' Georgie, I'm thinking of taking him out of retirement after seeing these eggplant sammies.

Mardi Michels said...

These look delicious. Wish I had a press..

Jenn said...

Pam: You should. It really good. I guess it all comes down to how it's prepared.

Teresa: I think you'd enjoy this.

Phyllis: I think you should, too. It's usefully for more than just grilling.

Eatlive: Thanks.

lynn said...

terrific panini! i could eat anything sandwiched between grilled bread

Jenn said...

Actors Diet: Thanks.

OysterCulture said...

O love egg plant, I love sammies - this sounds like a combo made in heaven

Jenn said...

Oyster: I agree.

sexshop espana said...

I found so much useful data in this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger