Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Broccoli Almondine


Simple, easy, delicious. Veggie goodness. I had bought 4 fresh heads of broccoli from the farmer's market over the weekend. It doesn't get any better that fresh from the farm, right? it was a rather beautiful day here in LA and why not play up that good mood I was in with a nice broccoli dish. This day in particular soup wasn't an option. I chopped up the broccoli to pieces and steamed them until they were nice and tender. Then I melted some butter and toasted some sliced almonds. Can I just tell you that the smell of toasted almonds is so good. It also releases a lot of flavor from those nuts. So good.  Then I toss the broccoli. Squeezed some fresh lemon juice shortly before serving giving that buttery lemon flavor.

Serves 2




Broccoli Almondine
1 lb broccoli - chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 c sliced almonds

Prepare you steamer.

Clean off any dirt that may be on the broccoli, if using the fresh kind.

Steam the broccoli until tender. Let them rest for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Let the foam die down before adding the almondds. Toast the almonds until they are lightly browned. Turn off the heat. Then add the broccoli and give it a good stir to mix everything together.

Serve warm.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

I really really love broccoli but I am forbidden from making it in my house! Incredible, right? If I could I would so make this great dish. I can taste it now!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love broccolli and its broccolli season.There will be no problem in making these...

Tangled Noodle said...

It took YEARS before I learned to appreciate broccoli, but now, I can even eat it raw. With that said, I'd much prefer it steamed, drenched in butter and sprinkled with almonds!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great dish!

chow and chatter said...

oh this looks delish great dish good with some red snapper !

Bob said...

That sounds awesome, toasted almonds are the bomb. It would make a great stuffing for chicken.

Amedy said...

I love this mixture cant wait to try it

Catherine said...

Another really good dish Jenn! This sounds delicious!

pigpigscorner said...

My hubs love buying broccoli for some weird reason and am having trouble thinking of ways to cook them. This sounds great!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

If I lived in your house I would totally eat more veggies. You make the best!

OysterCulture said...

Love broccoli, just put an entire bowl of this in front of me, and I'd be happy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger