Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spinach Caprese Panini



I think I've mentioned this a few times on this blog how I love anything caprese, right? Well here's another one. I added some fresh spinach to this one Fresh from the farmer's market from the weekend. I couldn't resist not eating them (almost) right away.  I used ol' Georgie as a panini press, but if you don't have a grill or anything like that you can use a skillet. To smush down the plate, place a clean plat over the sandwich and a heavy canned good. Do that for both sides. It'll give you that flat sandwich look just without the grill marks paninis are known for.

Makes 2 sandwiches



Spinach Caprese Panini

2 slices sourdough
4 slices mozarella
1 small fresh tomato - sliced
2 c fresh spinach - washed
1 c fresh basil leaves -washed
extra virgin olive oil

Place the cheese on two sliced of bread. Top with the spinach, then tomato and finally the basil. Top a couple optional slices of mozzarella. Place the other slices of bread on top.

Drizzle a little extra virgin olive on the outer sides of the bread.

Place the sandwich on a panini press for 3-5 minutes until the bread is toasted and teh cheese has melted.

To use a skillet:
Heat the skillet. Place the sandwich down and place a clean plate on the top side. Use a 12 oz canned good to add pressure. Cook for 3-5 minutes, then flip and do the same for the other side.



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!!

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I LOVE anything Caprese, too! And I LOVE grilled sandwiches! I think I actually may LOVE this sandwich more than you!!!! Now I want to re-create it for lunch!

Debbie said...

My lunch sandwich suddenly looks very bland...I would love your panini. I think I will definitely try that sometime. Thanks!

Divina Pe said...

I love caprese too and making a panini with spinach sounds really good.

Sippity Sup said...

Luscious lunch... GREG

Pam said...

I want this for lunch! A truly perfect sandwich.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I love caprese anything too! Never thought to use the George Foreman as a panini press - duh!

Tangled Noodle said...

Very nice! I'm saving up to buy a panini press (saw one on Greg's OpenSky shop); in the meantime, I'll use your shortcut method with my grill pan so that I can get those marks! 8-)

Bob said...

Wow, that looks awesome. Love the spinach in there, bet that adds a nice touch.

theUngourmet said...

I'm right there with you on the Caprese Love!! Fabulous panini!

penny aka jeroxie said...

So easy! It will be a good idea for my meatless day challenges. quick, simple and vegetarian.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Beautiful! I love all things Caprese. This sandwich looks like a great, healthy dinner! I would love it with a bowl of tomato soup or a side salad!

Julie said...

Looks just delicious! I need to check into getting a panini maker.

Catherine said...

Jenn this looks so good! I wish I had one right now! Yummy!

vanillasugarblog said...

you make the most creative sammies ever.

kanishk said...

I would love your panini. I think I will definitely try that sometime.

Work from home India

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy! The addition of spinach is healthy and delicious :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger