Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Potato Corn Chowdahhh



We're in rainy days here in LA. Woohoo!! That means soup days. Double woohoo!! You know I love my soups. To be honest I do love rainy days, too. Some people complain here in LA and they react all crazy about it as if they've never seen falling water before, but I love it. At least now I hope they can also stop complaining about the "water shortage." Anyway, I was craving clam chowder, but I didn't have clams. Darn. I did however have potatoes, carrots, corn and stock. So I still was able to a chowder. A nice hearty chowdahhh. It was equally good. Not too thick and not too thin. Each bite with veggies goodness. It was just the right balance. Really simple to make especially on those lazy days. Or perfect for those rainy days.

Serve 2-4







Potato Corn Chowdahhh

1 12 oz can corn kernels
2 medium russet potatoes - peeled and cubed
1 large carrot
2 12 oz can stock chicken or vegetable.
4 strips bacon
1/2 small onion chopped
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 5 oz can evaporate milk
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tsp water

Cook the bacon in a pot until they are crisp. Remove from the pot and drain on a paper towel. Saute the onion in the pot until they are tender. Add the carrots, potatoes and corn. Lightly saute them for about a minute. Add the stock. Season with some salt and pepper. Then add the cornstarch to slightly thicken. Bring the soup to a slight boil on medium heat.  Add the evaporated milk and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Serve with some sourdough bread or crackers.


25 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This does sound truly simple to make and so loaded with taste. I love it, not too thick or thin, perfect!

Tangled Noodle said...

No clams required! Corn and potatoes are just fine; besides, for this kind of soup, it's all about texture for me. Creamy and velvety spoonfuls are what I crave!

Lana from Never Enough Thyme said...

Love this! Quick, easy and so delicious. Great chowder recipe, Jenn.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a perfect winter soup! I love how quickly it comes together.

Pam said...

I love rainy days - good thing since I live in Oregon. The potato corn chowder looks simply fantastic!

Brad said...

Thanks for the great recipe for those rainy (or snowy as it is here) days. Nice use of bacon, I think I'll eat two bowls....

I added your url to my "Brad's Fav Blogs" list at www.eatnlisten.com. I really like reading your blog and hopefully others will discover it thru this link. Have a great day.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! this looks great... I love potato chowders.

teresa said...

i want to make this just so i can spend the day saying chowdaaaah! love it, perfect for a cold rainy day!

Debbie said...

I love cream soups. They are so hearty. Looks delicious! Hey, at least it's only rain and not snow!!!

chow and chatter said...

oh great soup and good attitude about the rain

Anonymous said...

Love the chowdahhhhh!!

lisaiscooking said...

Veggie chowder sounds delicious! It's not actually raining her, but it's cloudy so I think that's close enough to call it chowder weather.

Dewi said...

It's rainy here too in the bay, so this chowder will be perfect.

vanillasugarblog said...

not too thick not too thin, good good! love this. perfect for our weather which is nothing but rain for days on end.

pigpigscorner said...

I like rainy days if i am indoors =) the soup looks so good! very comforting.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy! It's cold and dreary here today. I could totally go for a bowl of this.

Mowie @ Mowielicious said...

I absolutely luuuurve chowder, and this recipe looks perfect, especially now in the depth of winter - must make it soon. Great recipe.

MaryMoh said...

My children love corn soup. I'm sure they will love this one. Looks very delicious.

OysterCulture said...

yum, yum, yum - this sounds perfect for the rainy weather we are experiencing - Love it!

sophia said...

Man, what I would do for this chowDAH. I was gonna eat soup for lunch today, too, until the rain suddenly stopped and the sun came out freakishly!

Anonymous said...

I love soups, too. I get soups for lunch all the time.

Juliana said...

Wow, looks delicious, I love corn and this chowder looks so tasty and very creamy :-)

Anonymous said...

Great, simple, hearty food!
The Missus regularly does something similar on Saturdays!

Anonymous said...

A delicious and warming soup! Very nice with potatoes and corn!

Reeni said...

What a delicious Chowdahhh! Just perfect for a rainy day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger