Search Bread + Butter

Monday, January 11, 2010

Sauteed Cabbage



The only time I ever eat cabbage is if it's in a slaw of some kind. Otherwise, you wouldn't really see me eat it at all. No wait...there is a Filipino stew that uses the stuff. So I take that back. I would eat it outside of the usually slaw. This was a quick little weekend lunch. From all the holiday eating, I'm taking my fill of some much needed veggies and nutrients and still adding some type of protein into the dish. I was planning on using the cabbage for something else, but I was hungry and I didn't wan to go out and buy something. The sauce of this dish is made from vegetable stock slightly thickened by a little cornstarch. In a way, creating a thick soup. It was a lazy Saturday especially with the nice weather we've had here in LA. Somehow it felt like mother nature skipped winter and went into spring.


 

sauteed cabbage

1 head cabbage - chopped
1 garlic clove
1/3 medium onion
1 12oz can vegetable stock
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
2 c beef, pork, or chicken - sliced - optional
pepper to taste

Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a pan, saute the garlic clove and onion on medium heat. Add the optional meat and cook them until they are just seared. Roughly 2-3 minutes depending on thickness. Addd the cabbage and saute until slightly cooked. Add the vegetable stock and cornstarch. Bring the mixture to a slight boil stirring occasionally until the stock become thick. Lower the hear and bring to a slight simmer until ready to serve.

Serve warm.


24 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love sauteed cabbage. Great dish! :)

Nadji said...

Beautiful blog.
I'll comme back.
Greetings from Paris.

Debbie said...

Looks delicious. Cabbage is one of my favorites!

Pam said...

This looks really tasty. I need to try using more cabbage in recipes.

Bob said...

Sounds great, I've only ever really had cabbage in slaws and sauerkraut. I'll have to try this.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds great. Ina Garten has a really great recipe for sauteed cabbage. I like that. I'll have to give yours a try.

teresa said...

i used to eat sauteed cabbage so much back in the day. i don't know why i stopped, i'll have to start making it again!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks great wth rice! not a huge fan of greens but quite enjoy cabbage.

Teanna said...

Lucky! Sometimes I wish that Mother Nature would skip winter here! That dish looks so delicious!

Catherine said...

Mmmm, this looks like such a delectable dish!

Daily Spud said...

Funny, sauteed cabbage is what I had for dinner this evening - it's good stuff. And I'm also wishing that Mother Nature would skip on into spring, I'm done with the cold.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love cabbage! Growing up we always had a garden and we grew our own cabbage. Needless to say in the summer I ate obscene amounts of the stuff...haha.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

P.S. Sorry I have been so MIA lately :( I feel bad for not commenting as much as usual.

The Duo Dishes said...

Not a cabbage fan? :) It's so good in any shape or fashion!

sophia said...

I'll bet I can use the leftovers for a stew, too. If there IS any leftovers.

Reeni said...

I really love cabbage! I don't think I've ever made it this way! Looks delicious!

theUngourmet said...

This looks simple to make and so delicious to eat! Nice!

Sook said...

This looks great! What a great way to enjoy cabbage!

Lori Lynn said...

I like the simplicity of this one.
LL

Anonymous said...

A lovely cabbage preparation, sounds delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Interesting cabbage dish. I am usually a cabbage slaw person, as well. I have a head of cabbage, so I think I'll give this a try!

OysterCulture said...

I love cabbage like this and lucky for me I have a head in the fridge, thanks for the inspiration.

www.murcia-3d.com said...

Thank you for this article, pretty helpful information.

www.jaen-3d.com said...

In my view one and all may read this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger