Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Oven Steamed Meatballs



These little rounds balls of meaty deliciousness are really tasty. Perfect alone, in a sandwich or with pasta. A lot of the time most recipes I've seen fry them up in some form or another. For these, I decided to oven-steam them. I placed them in a baking pan, evenly space and added 1/4-inch of water to the pan. It's almost like a water bath. Cover the pan with foil and baked it for 40 minutes. Since the meatballs were covered, it steamed them to deliciousness. Some of the fat renders out of the meat.

It's a mixture of beef and pork. Mmmm... with a mix of finely chopped onion and seasonings you'd find in your pantry.  I mixed these in to a spaghetti that my mom cooked up for New Year's. You'll see that recipe tomorrow.  We split the duties of this dish. I had the meatballs and she made the pasta sauce. The pasta was...well...pasta. I think a meatball sandwich is in order.

Makes roughly 24 balls.




Oven-Steamed Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
salt
pepper
2 Tbsp paprika
1 small onion - fine chopped
1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
lukewarm water


Preheat oven to 350˚F

Combine thoroughly the ground beef, pork, paprika, onion, worchestershire sauce in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the mixture into 24 balls and place on a 2-4 inch deep oven pan. Pour water 1/4 inch deep into the pan completely covering the bottom. Cover the pan with foil crimping the edges to tightly seal it.

Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove the balls from the pan and serve with spaghetti or as an appetizer ot in a sandwich.


 

24 comments:

Debbie said...

One of my very favorites and yours look delicious. Can't wait to see the sauce recipe! Yum!

♥peachkins♥ said...

yumyum!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I would make my men very happy with these... :)

vanillasugarblog said...

You know I love new ways of creating meatballs. Super easy too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great way to cook meatballs. I'll have to give your technique a try.

Unknown said...

This is a great way of making something that could be kinda fatty a lot less bad for you. And it looks totally yummy.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy! I love meatballs but I don't think I have ever made them. I should give this recipe a try. I like that some of the fat gets cooked out of them too.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to make the meatballs, and they look just excellent!

Brad said...

Ummmm meatballs. Great recipe thanks for the yummy pics too.

Diana said...

Wow - what a clever way to make meatballs! Never heard of that before! Looks great - and healthier than so many versions!

Unknown said...

Hmmm - I've always just baked mine - but that requires oil. Good to know I can skip the oil and use water instead. They look fantastic (as usual!)!

teresa said...

i want to gobble up a whole plate of these!

Miranda said...

OH. HOW I LOVE MEATBALLS!I always just throw them in my sauce and let them cook...I have never steamed them. They look wonderful!

Bob said...

Looks good, although I have to admit the idea of steaming a meatball is kind of odd to me. I'd definitely try them though!

pigpigscorner said...

Meatballs always shout 'eat me!' looks so good!

The Duo Dishes said...

A meatball sub is totally in order. Pasta for dinner, sub for lunch!

theUngourmet said...

I have yet to try pork and beef together in my meatballs. These look so darn good!

Reeni said...

These look so yummy! I have a craving for a meatball sub now!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! Your meatballs look fantastic... Great new technique.

Donna-FFW said...

What an interesting way to cook meatballs. I am a huge fan of them, so versatile.

OysterCulture said...

Looks yummy - I see you're making good use of that new found paprika =)

Esi said...

That's a really interesting way of cooking meatballs. They sound really good.

www.soria-3d.com said...

I fully agree with whatever thing you have presented.

posicionamiento web said...

In my view every person ought to look at it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger