Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pinoy Style Fried Rice Redux



The one thing I love about fried rice is the different combination you can create with them. Then again the same rule applies to cooking. There's no one way to make a dish.

With lent approaching fast, we'll get into that later, I'm slowly eating the last bits of meat I have stocked in my fridge and freezer. What's left are few bacon strips and two hot dogs with cheese (click here to know what I'm talking about). I do have a whole cornish game hen and some ground pork that I need to cook up. But I'll make something those in the coming days, if I haven't by now.

Saturday morning consists of a trip to the farmer's market. Sometimes when I get home, I'm pretty hungry. This is where leftover white rice comes in handy. A Filipino breakfast is usually some fried rice (called sinangag in tagalog) and whatever have in the fridge (eggs, sausage, etc). So I cook up the traditional pinoy fried rice. Instead of adding  butter I cooked the rice in some of the bacon drippings. Cooked the garlic until crisp and gave the hot dog some nice char marks,. Add the rice and mix in the egg, causing it to coat every morsel. Top it off by crumbling the bacon in. Mmmm... a Filipino breakfast redux. You can serve it with a side of white vinegar or ketchup. It's a one plate kind of dish.

Serve 2-3




Pinoy Style Fried Rice Redux

3-4 c cooked rice
6 bacon strip
2 hot dog links - sliced into 1/4 to 1/2-inch coins
2 eggs - beaten and season lightly with salt
2 garlic cloves - minced

In a non-stick skillet, cook the bacon until browned and crisp. Place the strips on a paper towel to drain. If there's a lot of bacon drippings in the pan, remove but 1 tablespoon of the dripping. Then cook the garlic until it's browned then add the hot dog.

Cook the hot dogs roughly 2-3 minutes. Give them an occasional stir. Then add the rice. Break them apart stirring constantly and mixing well until the rice is once again soft. Roughly 5 minutes of so. Then stir in the egg. Again stirring until the egg is completely cooked.

Shortly before serving crumble the bacon into the rice.

Serve warm with a side of white vinegar or ketchup.


22 comments:

figtree said...

How come my scraps from the fridge never look this good???I love any type of fried rice.

Tangled Noodle said...

I keep telling myself to make more rice than usual for dinner so that I have enough to make sinangag for breakfast! Garlic fried rice is so awesome with yolk-y eggs - it's just about the only way I'll choose rice over pancakes for the first meal of the day. 8-)

Lana from Never Enough Thyme said...

Fried rice = love. And yours sounds really lovely. Pass the bowl, please!

The Old White Barn said...

Fried rice with style! Enjoy your posts - thanks for sharing!
Susan

Pam said...

What a tasty fried rice - I love that you put the cheese filled hot dogs in there too.

teresa said...

mmmm, i love this! and i needed a good recipe for rice for tonight, wonderful!

Phyllis said...

Mmmm...this sounds good! My mom used to put cut-up hot dogs in everything growing up. And what a great idea serving it with white vinegar - can't wait to try that :)

Bob said...

Hot dog and bacon fried rice? Ok, that's just awesome, I frigging love it.

Thistlemoon said...

Meals like this are the absolute best - you can just throw in whatever needs eaten!

Daily Spud said...

I may not mention it much, but I do love fried rice, though I would never think of having it for breakfast - perhaps I should think again!

tavolini said...

YUM! I have always liked hotdogs in my fried rice--odd, but so tasty!

Sippity Sup said...

I don't know the term Pinoy, but I do know the term bacon fat... yummy. GREG

Sook said...

Ooh adding hot dogs to the rice sounds awesome! yum!

Stacy said...

I love fried rice. Great flavors here!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great - would be a perfect meal for my daughter and me!

theUngourmet said...

We ate fried rice for dinner tonight. I threw in peas and corn and some yummy left over pork chop (thinly sliced)leftovers. I put a little soy sauce over it. It was not too bad.

I love your version. I'll have to try the hot dog idea. My kids would love this.

How is the acting coming along? Have you been on any shows this week?

Dewi said...

Simply satisfying meal. I love to it this for breakfast.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks great. You are the master at making "whats on hand" into a tasty and satisfying meal.

oysterCulture said...

Looks amazing, simple a good - you keep coming up with some great recipes. When is that cookbook coming out?

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i really need to start getting more in touch with my Filipino roots! This seems like the meal to get me started! Looks great, can't wait to try it!

pigpigscorner said...

wow bacon and hotdogs?! YUM! Love fried rice too, the combination is endless!

kanishk said...

it's just about the only way I'll choose rice over pancakes for the first meal of the day.

Work from home India

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger