Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Avocado



 We've all heard of the old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese and tomato, grilled cheese with apple, grilled cheese with _____. So now it's time to add avocado into that blank.For those who've been following this blog for a while now may may know of my love to avocados.

Served this with some good ol' fashioned creamy tomato soup. Grilled cheese is on the top list of ultimate comfort foods. It doesn't get any simpler than that. The cheese I used is shredded mozarella and a couple slices of sourdough bread.

Makes 2 sandwiches.




Grilled Cheese and Avocado

4 slices of bread
1 c shredded mozzarella
1 ripe avocado - pitted and sliced
butter

Spread some butter on all 4 slices of bread. Take two slices and divide the cheese and avocado evenly between the two top with the other two slices buttered side out.

Heat a skillet, place on side of the sandwich down and toast the bread for 2-3 minutes on medium heat until the bread is browned. Flip the sandwich and cook for another 2-3 minutes until browned.

Serve warm with some soup or alone.


28 comments:

Divina Pe said...

This is a favorite. Love the combination.

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

fabulous idea! its like a california-fied version of grilled cheese!!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I wish I had seen this before I used up the last of an avocado to top some scrambled eggs. This looks delicious!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Two of my favorite things: cheese & avocado! It's time for a grilled cheese sandwich again...

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of avocados in the grilled cheese!

Tangled Noodle said...

[Drooling] The only thing that would make this even better is bacon. [Drooling]

chow and chatter said...

oh wow i am making this for sure must be so creamy love it

Debbie said...

Oh that is a different combo. Sounds good to me. Love avocado and mozzarella....

Bob said...

Oh my. You know, I just happen to have a couple avocados sitting in my pantry...

Btw, did you ever get that cookbook from my giveaway? If not, let me know and I'll contact them.

Unknown said...

I never thought of this combo before. I love it.

Mimi said...

Perfect for lunch on this rainy day.
Mimi

Pam said...

Look at that thick bread with huge chunks of avocado - now that is my kind of sandwich.

Parita said...

So simple sandwich and a lovely combo!

lisaiscooking said...

I should really not stop by here right before lunch! I want this for lunch right now.

Tony said...

Looks easy and delicious. I need to learn how to use avocados, and this is a perfect way to start.

Diana said...

As far as I'm concerned avocado goes with just about everything! Especially cheese and bread! :)

theUngourmet said...

Oh boy do I love this sandwich! Time to go out and buy a couple of avocados! Your soup recipe is terrific too!

Teanna said...

That last picture... nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. Love the cheese/avocado combo!

teresa said...

absolutely wonderful lunch. this could improve even the worst of days.

The Duo Dishes said...

Never too old for grilled cheese. Mmmmm.

Dana Fallentine said...

Oh my, yummy! I bet you enjoyed eating that! I will have to make it for lunch tomorrow!

Sook said...

Wow, what a brilliant idea! Avocado with grilled cheese sandwich! I will have to try it.

OysterCulture said...

Everything is better with avocado in my book even grilled cheese - yummy!

Donna-FFW said...

MMMMM... simplicity at its very best. Great addition to the grilled cheese.

Anonymous said...

Grilled cheese stands alone but with avocado, it stands higher. This is great and I can taste it, just looking at it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks great... You know I'm always game for some avocado :)

Anonymous said...

Sprinkle Cinnamon/sugar on prior to cooking. Sound Crazy but, tastes delicious!

contactos valencia said...

Pretty helpful material, much thanks for this article.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger