Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Puto Pao



I know in spanish 'puto' has a negative meaning of sorts, but in the Philippines it's got a tasty meaning behind it.  It's commonly found in many gathering and parties as well as come in different color. But we'll just stick to the classic white for this one. It can be made into the size of a hubcap or as small as a cupcake. A good dish to pair this with is usually pancit.

The recipe below was actually given to me by my cousin, who made it for me when I was in the country last year. Traditionally, it's usually made with rice flour. but if you don't have the means to make your own or find some that's readily available, you can use cake flour instead. These cakes aren't baked but steamed. They look light and fluffy and so good to eat.

There's also the optional shredded cheese and salted egg for topping. Salted eggs are uncooked duck eggs, still in the shell, soaked in a salt and water bath for two weeks. Then after two weeks they are hard boiled and eaten.

Makes 2 6-inch cakes or 20 cupcakes




Puto Pao
adapted from my cousin's recipe

1 1/4 c cake flour or rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 c water
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 c granulated sugar
cheddar cheese - optional
salted egg - optional
banana leaves - optional


Prepare you steamer, keep the water on a low flame if not boiling immediately

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Then mix in the water and blend. Mix it in a clockwise or counter-clockwise way. Don't use both.  Set the mixture aside.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until it begins to looks the consistency of meringue or marshmallow. It's best to use a mixer for this part, but if mixing by hand, whisk vigorously. Then slowly add the sugar while still continuously mixing. When the mixture looks to form stiff peaks when held with a spoon, it's ready.

Fold the egg white mixture into the flour mixture until thoroughly combine. Place the butter in a parchment paper or banana leaf lined cake pan or into cupcake liners.

Steam for 10 minutes then add the toppings. Steam once more for 10 minutes to let the cheese melt.


 

A 6-inch cake version steamed in a banana leaf

13 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice recipe.. Lovely clicks.. :)

Unknown said...

I am looking at the ingredients and trying to imagine what this might taste like. I'd love to try one :)

alice said...

I have never heard of this dish.. but I am going to make this soon. Thanks for sharing!! Happy New Year Jenn!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

What a delicious sounding little snack! Might have to try!

Bob said...

Interesting, the concept of steamed cakes is still pretty new to me. Sounds great though, I'll have to try it sometime.

chow and chatter said...

wow you need to get a cookbook together Jenn, or a cooking show use your connections LOL

Rebecca

vanillasugarblog said...

oh how I love to try new recipes. never heard of it either, but would love to try it.

pigpigscorner said...

wow, interesting recipe with the cheese and salted eggs. Looks and sounds very tasty!

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a delicious treat. I dont think Ive ever had a steamed cake before. Sounds intriguing to me.

theUngourmet said...

These looks wonderful! I'd love to try them. I've never tried to steam anything but veggies! Happy New Year!

Trissa said...

Reminds me a bit of bibingka but without the coconut milk - it looks delicious - brings me back to the Philippines - I'll have to try it.

lisaiscooking said...

They look fluffy and amazing! I'd love to taste one.

Happy New Year!

OysterCulture said...

Awesome - I love all these wonderful Filipino dishes you are introducing us to. Do you have a preference regarding the flour - you mentioned either cake flour or rice flour - I have both.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger