Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Egg Drop Ramen Soup


Soup is what's for dinner -- again. I can't get enough of soup. Period. I went to an Asian style soup this time around. Another one of my favorites. Usually found as a appetizer in many Chinese restaurants. Egg drop soup. This isn't like my other egg drop soup that I had made several months ago, which was towards more the traditional route. I changed this version up with some paprika and ramen noodles. The paprika really adds a new flavor to this famous soup. Garnished it with a sprinkle of safflower (wild saffron) on top. 

Serves 2-3



Egg Drop Ramen Soup

2 12oz can vegetable or chicken stock
1 packet or ramen minus seasoning
2 green onions - chopped
2 eggs - lightly beaten
1 c corn kernels - canned or frozen
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
salt and pepper
1 tsp safflower (wild saffron) - optional
1 c shredded chicken or pork - optional

In a stock pot, bring the vegetable or chicken stock to a near boil. Stir the stock into a slight whirlpool and gently add the egg. It should look like shredded bits.

Add the cornstarch and stir occasionally until the soup has thickened. Add the paprika, corn, green onion, and the chicken or pork. Season with a little salt and pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. stir occassionally.

Add the ramen noodles and let the soup simmer once more for 5-8 minutes until the noodles have been cooked. Stir it several times to separate them and serve.

Garnish with some safflower.


24 comments:

Trissa said...

When I was younger this was one of my favourite soups to order in a Chinese restaurant - I never knew how it was made - thanks for sharing your recipe.

Donna-FFW said...

I can never get enough soup either. I love the way you use ramen noodles, makes it more substantial, flavors sound terrific!

Debbie said...

Great looking soup and one of my favorites. I ALWAYS order this when we eat Chinese!!!

Teanna said...

Oooooh... souuuup. This would hit the spot right now. And with the paprika! I love it!

Justin said...

this is my kind of soup

teresa said...

oh my gosh, i want this soup so bad right now!

Bob said...

Heh, I just made something with ramen too. Looks great! I used to get an egg drop soup when I was a kid that was awesome, but the restaurant closed down. I haven't been able to find one that's even close since.

OysterCulture said...

Sounds absolutely perfect!

pigpigscorner said...

Love soups like this! So thick and satisfying!

Heather S-G said...

I'm feeling the soup, too! This sounds really good :)

Anonymous said...

You make everything that my mum makes! Love egg drop soup, but we do it with some tom yum paste just for a little kick.

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Comfort food! :)

Daily Spud said...

Oh gosh, it's soup weather alright. I don't believe I've ever made an egg drop soup, will have to do something about that...

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love egg drop soup, but have never thought of adding ramen noodles to it. This sounds amazing.

♥peachkins♥ said...

Reading your post mae me crave.I have to do this. I love soup also....

Diana said...

I'm the same way with soup - totally obsessed lately! Perfect for a light lunch or supper, and always a good excuse to eat grilled cheese. :)

Reeni said...

I can never have too much soup! I love this! I bet the eggs make it rich and really yummy.

sophia said...

Jenn, you did it again! AMAZING! I love egg drop soup, I love ramen noodles...and with a touch of saffron? Wow....You're super!

Stacy said...

Yum, I love egg drop soup! Great blog!

lisaiscooking said...

I love egg drop soup! Sounds great with ramen and paprika!

Bianca @southbay rants n raves said...

I like this "kicked up" version of good ol ramen soup. I often spiced up my ramen soup in college but never like this! Looks wonderful!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love egg drop soup. I have yet to make it at home. I should give this a try. I bet it's delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Beautiful soup... It sounds perfect for the very chilly weather we are having here right now.

test it comm said...

That soup looks good! I really like the texture that egg drop adds to a soup.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger