Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Happiest Place On Earth

Early last week my mom and I had gone to do some ingredient shopping for our New Year's meal. I was feeling a bit lazy that day, so we opted to eat out. Chow King is another food joint that's popular in the Philippines serving up traditional dishes. Luckily, they opened a branch near where I live. I guess it's to appease the large Filipino community in the area.


My mom orders the boneless bangus belly (milkfish) with with garlic fried rice. It comes with some spiced vinegar and a side of atsara (or achara), which is pickled green papaya.



I order the tocino (or tosino), bonless bangus belly (milkfish belly), scrambled eggs, and garlic fried rice combo.  Tocino is a cured meat usually made with pork. So good. Milkfish is probably one of my favorite fishes along with ahi tuna, salmon and tilapia. This is what you'd call a traditional Filipino breakfast eaten for dinner.

What better way to close out 2009 than with a trip to "the happiest place on earth." Disneyland. One of my best friend's and I decided to go on a last minute day trip. I love the place. You're never too old to go there and you feel like a kid again. It's been a few years since I last been, so this was a great time to go since it was the holidays and I know there have been many changes. We got there early and everything worked out perfectly. Got to ride the good rides like Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion (which was converted for Nightmare Before Christmas), and Space Mountain to name a few. We even did some window shopping on Main Street. It was slightly rainy that day, but that didn't stop us from having a good time. It's actually fun.


For breakfast, I had myself a butter croissant and a fruit parfait from a bakery on Main Street. A good way to start off a fun-filled day. The fruit parfait was a mixture of bananas, blueberries, strawberries in yogurt with a small side of granola.


Mid morning snack. A plain salted pretzel with some mustard. Look it's Mickey. It looked too cute to eat, but alas into the stomach it went. It was good.


For lunch, we both had a veggie burger at Tomorrow land with a side of fries. It had a nice mix to veggies, I was surprised to see whole kernels of corn in it.


Dinner - A big bowl of creamy clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl from one of the shops in New Orleans Square. Since it was slightly rainy, it felt fitting for a nice bowl of soup.

 
My friend got herself a churro for dessert.

Throughout the day we had a couple cups of coffee from Market House on Main Street. The nice thing about that place is that you can buy one cup and come back anytime during the day to get another cup for free. You just show them your receipt. I had their hazelnut flavor.



And for your enjoyment, some random photos from the day.



The famous main entrance.

 
Jack Skellington welcoming us to the haunted mansion.


Captain Jack Sparrow


Christmas tree on Main Street


Main Street at night


Mirror, mirror on the wall



Mickey doing his thing.


Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Oh to be a kid again even for one day. It was a fun day!!!!!

18 comments:

KennyT said...

I love the Filipino way of cooking Milkfish too! Looks like you had a great time in Disney!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I don't think I've ever had milkfish...

And now I really miss Disneyland. I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice to take the toddler in December; he'll be 3 and hopefully "get" it. Plus, I'd like to see all the decorations... Sounds like you had a fun day!

Heather S-G said...

I totally need a day like that! I am in the mood to eat out and walk around and see sights...ah. Love that huge churro!

vanillasugarblog said...

cannot wait to move back to cali....girl keep showing us those fun day activities because I LOVE them. they remind me that I will not be stuck in cold, snowy Massachusetts forever.

Laura said...

Just got back a couple months ago from Disneyland and I'll never get tired of going! I love it. Wasn't the castle amazing this year?

Unknown said...

Ah nothing better than a fun day with lots of good food. Cant be beat :)

Bob said...

I've never heard of milkfish, but that looks wicked good.

I went to Disneyland when I was about 3. I don't remember it very well, but I do remember something scared the hell out of me and my mom could only console me with a hamburger. :D

Dewi said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Jenn. May this year bring lots of happiness.
Cheers,
elra

p.s
I would be happy too, if I can be there now.

Admin said...

Now that does look like one of the happiest places on earth. I can wait to have a Chow King or at least a Jollibee in my area.

lisaiscooking said...

The fish with garlic rice looks fantastic! And, looks like you had a great time ending 09!

♥peachkins♥ said...

ang sarap...inggit ako....

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks like fun. I especially like the pretzel!

sophia said...

I LOVE this post. I miss Disneyland! I need to visit again sometime...thank you for a trip down to child land!

OysterCulture said...

Looks like you started the new year in grand style. What a fun idea. Hopefully it was not too crowded - although it looks like you did just right in the culinary department

Diana said...

So jealous of your Disneyland trip!

I like the clam chowder bowl there too!

pigpigscorner said...

I've never heard of milkfish...looks good though!

alice said...

We love Disneyland! Seeing your pictures makes me wish we were there again.. like now!

Jean Jacques said...

Milkfish taste very good with vinegar, When I visit the Philippines last summer I buy this boneless milkfish and I just fried it... It was really good.



Windows 7 | Demand Planning | Houston Car Wreck Lawyer

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger