Search Bread + Butter

Friday, January 8, 2010

Spaghetti



This is one tomato filled spaghetti. You can resist the power of spaghetti. As my job was to make the meatball, it was my mom's turn to make the spaghetti. Nothing like a little mother-daughter time in the kitchen. Awe, those precious moments. I do love my mom's cooking. I think if it weren't for her, I wouldn't know how to cook. A lot of the basic and traditional way of cooking I learned from her.

This is a relatively super easy sauce to make since most of the ingredients involve tomatoes and nothing else. Aside from a little onion, herbs, a dash of sugar and a little sweet relish. It helps balance out the sweet and tart flavors. The Filipino way is to mix in the noodles rather than spooning the sauce over. That way you can just pick up the fork and eat up rather than having to spend another minute or two mixing things around. You can add extra sauce, if you want. I added some of the oven steamed meatballs into this and a sprinkle of chopped cheese.

Serve 4-6


Spaghetti


1 box spaghetti

1 15 oz diced tomato
2 12 oz can tomato sauce
1 5 oz can tomato sauce with basil, oregano and garlic (Hunt's brand)
      ( if you can't find this, simple add 1 Tbsp of each -- dry basil, dry and garlic powder)
1 large fresh tomato
1 small onion
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp sweet relish
1 tsp dry oregano
salt and pepper to taste.

saute the onions in a tiny drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add the diced tomato, tomato sauce, fresh tomato. Stir to combine. Then add the brown sugar, relish, dry oregano. Bring the sauce to a simmer and finally season with salt and pepper. Add more if needed.

Boil some water and cook the pasta to al dente. After draining, add the noodles into the sauce and caefully stir to combine.

Serve warm with a sprinkling of cheese.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I am too hungry to look at these yummy pictures right now LOL

Heather S-G said...

It looks delish...although I must admit, I was a little disappointed cuz I was expecting to see hot dogs in it, not meatballs. Oh well, made my tummy growl either way :D

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Comfort food! Beautiful! :)

Debbie said...

Looks like a good, hearty spaghetti. Delicious!!!

Tangled Noodle said...

My husband and I JUST agreed that we'd have spaghetti for dinner tonight and up popped your delicious post! It's a definite sign that we made the right choice. 8-) I'm not sure how others feel but I love the hint of sweetness in the sauce from the brown sugar - so very Filipino!

OysterCulture said...

Looks perfect, quick and tasty, does not get much better.

Bob said...

Man, I miss cooking with my mom. Of course, since around when I turned 16-17 cooking with my mom is me doing all the cooking while she sits back and watches. Which is fine, it keeps her out of my cooking space! Heh.

The spaghetti looks awesome, I never would have thought to put relish in a tomato sauce. I'll definitely have to try that out.

teresa said...

mmm, nothing like a plate of homemade spaghetti. it's like love on a plate!

Pam said...

Comfort food! Adding the sweet relish is a great idea - I've never thought of that.

Diana said...

There is something so comforting about a big plate of spaghetti. Just looking at it makes me smile.

Thistlemoon said...

Looks delicious! I always stir the noodles in the sauce first, too! :)

SippitySup said...

It's well known I can't resist so let's dig in together. GREG

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really does look perfect to me. I also love the division of labor you share with your mother. Together you are a dynamic duo.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! I would love some spaghetti right now. Looks great.

sophia said...

Aw, that's sweet that you got to spend time with you mom....no matter how old we are, mother-daughter time is the greatest!

I wanna slurp up those noodles!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger