Search Bread + Butter

Monday, January 25, 2010

Wheat Cinnamon Rolls



Who doesn't love a good cinnamon roll? I remember going into Cinnabon and buy one of their large rolls with extra frosting. Of course that was way back when. See with the rain comes endless amounts of time spent in the office or at home. In my case, on this particular day, it was spent in my home office. The rain pouring and I'm trying to do some writing for a new script, but with no success. So into the kitchen I go.  I was originally going to make my usually loaf of bread, but then I got the sudden urge to make cinnamon rolls.

I've always had the regualr white bread versions of them and I thought why not have a wheat version. It's still bread, right? I make the dough and waiting for it to proof. I get all my other ingredients ready.

Once ready, I roll it out into a large rectangle. Spread some butter, sugar and cinnamon and "massage" into the dough. Then I roll it up and cut it into 12 pieces and bake. Now I couldn't leave it with just that. You need to have frosting to go with cinnamon rolls. It's like the quintessential ingredient that makes it so good to eat. I go for a cream cheese frosting on this one. Luckily, I still had some cream cheese left in the fridge.  I patiently wait for the rolls to bake. you can smell the cinnamon wafting through the air. Who need an airfreshener when you have the sweet smell of cinnamon inhabiting the room?

Once bake, I spread the frosting and dig in. Really good. A cinnamon roll is a cinnamon roll with a tiny twist. I think I'll go have another one right now.

Makes roughly 12 rolls.




Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

Dough
2 c All-Purpose Flour or bread flour
2 c wheat flour
1 package of rapid rise yeast
6 Tbsp olive oil
2 c lukewarm water (120˚F-130˚F)
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt


Cinnamon filling
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter - plus extra
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c cinnamon
1 c chopped walnuts


Frosting (optional)
4 Tbsp cream cheese
4 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract


Combine the yeast and water in a small bowl. Add a teaspoon of sugar and stir once. Let it sit for 5 min.

Combine the flour, remaining sugar, butter or olive oil and salt in a large bowl and add the yeast. Mix it all together until it form into a dough blob.

Remove from the bowl and on a well-floured flat surface, knead the dough for a good 8 min until it feels elastic.

Lightly oil another bowl, place the dough in it and cover with plastic wrap and a towel and place away from light. Roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hrs or until the dough doubles in size.When the dough has doubled, punch down the dough to let the gases out and knead it again for a couple of minutes.

Preheat oven to 375˚F

On a lightly floured surface, rolls out the dough into a rectangle 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick. Spread the butter evenly over the surface, then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon. With your hands or spatula mix all three over the surface. Sprinkle the walnuts o top and carefully the dough into a log. Cut them into 12 pieces and place them on a lightly grease a baking sheet or pan. Before placing them in the oven baste the tops of each rolls with a little bit of butter.

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

To add frosting: combine all cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until well blended and spread a generous helping on each cinnamon rolls.

Serve warm.




28 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I haven't made cinnamon rolls in many, many years. Yours look delicious!

♥peachkins♥ said...

So this is good cinnamon rolls...I'll be allowed to have seconds..or even thirds..hee

Unknown said...

Cinnamon rolls are one of my absolute favorite things in the world. I wish i could come over and take one.
*kisses* HH
p.s. LOL, wheat doesn't make them healthy daaaaahling :D

Anonymous said...

These look totally scrumptious! I so wish I could have one with my coffee right now!

MaRyA said...

I have never tried making these using wheat. My that cross section of the rolls really looks so yummy!

Farrah said...

I want one with my cup of joe now!! I've never made homemade cinnamon rolls they are on my list of 100 things to bake/cook this year. I will have to add this recipe. Thanx!

Debbie said...

I would love one of those right now! Looks delicious!

Bob said...

That looks awesome. And since it's whole wheat they're good for you, right? :D

Patty said...

Yum! Breakfast is one of my favorite meals and these look fantastic!

theUngourmet said...

Yum! I love that you used wheat flour in your recipe. We had store bought cinnamon rolls this morning and I can tell that yours are a million times better!

Parita said...

Cinnamon rolls look perfect!! I wonder how you manage cooking such wonderful dishes with work, hats off to you!

PageRank Check said...

I Love your recipe which kind of cream cheese u use???

Juliana said...

Oh! These cinnamon rolls look so yummie, I can almost smell them :-)

teresa said...

what a fantastic way to eat cinnamon rolls! i love the wheat, i bet it adds a whole new element!

Pam said...

I am loving that you used whole wheat flour... they look perfectly delicious! Don't they smell amazing while baking...mmmmmm.

OysterCulture said...

I have such a weakness for home made cinnamon rolls you have no idea, and with all those nuts and whole wheat flour - well they're practically like eating vitamins ! cannot wait to try.

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

PageRank Check: I use the regular Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Catherine said...

Jenn I have book marked this recipe and will make it for the weekend. This looks so good! I will tell how it comes out!

lisaiscooking said...

I could eat these for breakfast very morning! The whole wheat dough sounds great.

SKIP TO MALOU said...

i love the twist that you put into this cinnamon rolls... i could almost smell them right now.. yum!

sophia said...

Jenn, you can come to bake in my little studio ANYTIME. I'll pay you to perfume my room with that glorious cinnamon-bun fragrance!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! It has been a while since I made cinnamon rolls. Yours look beautiful. I love the cross-section photo of the inside. Beautiful!

Justin said...

i'm not brave enough to make cinnamon rolls

tavolini said...

ooooooooh! Good idea--you know, I have never made cinnamon rolls and I make bread every week. I might just have to try this in the morning...

Reeni said...

How yummy! I love that you made them with wheat!

Diana H said...

I love substituting wheat flour, it punches the flavor up a notch, dontcha think?

kanishk said...

. Yours look delicious!

Work from home India

site said...

It won't really have success, I consider so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger