Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Classic Tuna Sandwich


This is one of those memory lane foods. Imagine yourself back at your grade school lunch area. You open your little lunchbox or brown little bag and what do you find inside. Juice to quench you thirst, maybe some fruit, cookies or chips, maybe a thermos full of soup. Then there's the main attraction. The sandwich. I would always get a sandwich for lunch. I believe it was ham and cheese on white bread. I'd take a bite and I'd find it slightly odd how the bread would stick to the roof of my mouth. Then there would be other days when I'd get a different sandwich. I liked those days. It wold be a the classic tuna sandwich. A nice blob of tuna, mayo, relish between two slices of bread.

I decided to revisit those days and created a tuna sandwich with the regular mix-ins, but with the addition of some fine chopped baby carrots and panko crumbs. I made those cheese crispies again and added slices of avocado to the sammies. I pressed them in ol' Georgie (I didn't want the bread to stick to the roof of my mouth. I still find it an odd feeling). Oh, the memories. I guess the little orange peep likes the sandwich, too.

Makes 4 small sandwiches



Classic tuna sandwich

1 can tuna - water drained
1-2 Tbsp Mayo
2 Tbsp sweet relish
3 baby carrots - fine chopped
1/4 c panko crumbs
4 bread rolls
4 cheese crispies
1 small ripe avocado - sliced


In a bowl, mix together the tuna, mayo, relish,, carrots, panko. Divide the mixture between the 4 rolls and top with a few slices of avocado and cheese crisp.

Using a press, heat the sandwich until the bread it slightly toasted. If using a skillet, place a plate over the sandwich followed by a 12oz can to apply pressure. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for another 3-5 minutes.

8 comments:

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Mmmmm-tuna!!! I'm definitely going to love it-not so sure about the hubby though :)

Ameena said...

I never used to eat tuna but I am slowly getting to like it. My problem is mainly with the smell. Opening the can nearly sets me over the edge. I'm working on it.

Love your sandwiches though!! They look delicious.

Phyllis said...

Awesome idea adding panko to tuna salad! And I totally remember how the bread would stick to the roof of my mouth with the ham sandwiches.
ps. surprised you still have peeps left ;)

Unknown said...

Tuna sandwiches were like the main food group when i was growing up. Like how u kicked it up.
*kisses* HH

vanillasugarblog said...

jenn i have an assignment for you. lol since you have access to the best avacados in the world-- i request more recipes with avacados. ok? lol

teresa said...

now this is tuna done right! i forget how delicious a tuna sandwich can be, i can't wait to make this!

Sook said...

Oh what a coincidence. I just posted a tuna melt recipe on my blog. :) Yours looks so good!

chow and chatter said...

just came over from Sooks blog he he love tuna

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger