Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Veggie Orzo Pasta with Smoked Scallops


Oh, what a day yesterday had been. If you've seen my tweets and facebook status updates, I was a victim of theft. It's not fun finding out that thieves had cashed a couple a checks that were issued to a different company. How they did it...I have no idea. Just goes to show how desperate people are coming to these days. It's a sad shame. And the wasn't for a small amounts too. Frustration and anger.

This was a test of some kind, I can feel it. This is God saying..."you've had it easy to a little while. Here's a little curve ball."  Testing my will power and seeing how I will react. But I'm staying positive that this situation will be resolved. Sure, it'll be a a little difficult for a little while, but in a time when everyone is tightening their belts, I have to tighten mine a little tighter than usual.  Have I passed the test yet? Sorry for this not being as food related, but it's a frightening situation that could happen to anyone that I thought to share with you as an example to be extra cautious with all your personal information. I thought I lived in a quiet and safe neighborhood, yet you'll never know what hides beneath that nice exterior.

Anyway...after dealing with all that. I needed to calm myself down. I ventured into the kitchen and made something. luckily it just around dinnertime. I mentioned before that I find cooking and baking to be therapeutic. It really does help take your mind off things that bother us.

Have you ever heard of smoked scallops in those sardine-like cans? I had gotten a couple of these from the grocery and they looked really interesting. They were small scallops packed in cottonseed oil. I once again make a risotto like dish using orzo pasta with some frozen veggies, chicken stock, and evaporated milk. The result deliciousness on a plate. It helped deviate from the stress of the day.

Edited to add: I'm submitting this recipe to 5 Star Foodie for the 5 Star Makeover. This month is pasta.



Serves 2



Veggie Orzo Pasta with Smoked Scallops 

1 c uncooked orzo
1 12oz can chicken stock
2-3 c frozen mixed veggies - defrosted
1 large garlic clove - fine chopped
1 can smoked scallops in cottonseed oil - drained
1 5 oz can evaorated milk
1 Tbsp paprika
extra virgin olive oil
pepper to taste


Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the garlic for 30 sec, the add the scallops and saute for a couple minutes. Add the vegetables and paprika. Cook for another few minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the stock and orzo. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once the orzo looks like it's cooked to al dente and has absorbed most of the stock, lower the heat and add the evaporated milk. Simmer for a few minutes and season with pepper to taste.

Serve warm.

18 comments:

Phyllis said...

Omigosh Jenn, sorry to hear about the check fraud :( I hope you get reimbursed soon! Food is definitely therapeutic (I'm totally an emotional eater)and your smoked scallop pasta looks really yummy. I don't think I've seen canned smoked scallops before but probably because I wasn't looking for them.

Tangled Noodle said...

I can relate and such a thing can throw you so off-balance. It does work out eventually, so hang in there; hopefully, you have some recourse to recoup your losses. In the meantime, I'm glad you have an outlet such as cooking to help calm your mind. I use a lot of canned seafood (like salmon and crab) but have not seen smoked scallops. Sounds good, though, so I'll be on the lookout!

Reeni said...

That's horrible Jenn! I'm sorry you're going through that. I would turn right to food too. This looks super comforting and delicious! Never saw the smoked scallops before.

Anonymous said...

This is totally scrumptious with smoked scallops! Let me know if you want to send this pasta to my 5 star makeover :)

Roxan said...

Hi, I just wanted to say that I've been following your blog for a while and have really been enjoying reading your entries!

I'm sorry to hear about the check fraud. It's a HUGE pain to work through but it happens so often that it will work out in your favor. My sister actually just had $1500 taken from her bank account over the weekend so she's working on getting that sorted out right now...

Anyways, I'll add you to twitter! (I'm @monstroxity)

Dewi said...

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that Jenn. I know that a lot of people are desperate, but that doesn't give them the right to steal!

I don't think I've ever heard of smoked scallops. I am drooling just to think about it. Must search for this. Sounds delish!

Bob said...

Oh man, that's a barrel of suck you've got going on. Hope it all get's resolved well and soon.

The orzo sounds great, I still have a box of it sitting in my cabinet waiting for me to do something with it.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about all this trouble you've been going though. My dad once had the same problem. I know you will get everything sorted out, but in the meantime, its a major pain.
Food is your best friend at times like these LOL.
*kisses* HH

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

So sorry about the fraud! I hope things are going to go as smoothly as possible!

I've never had smoked scallops - you make me very curious!

Diana said...

Jenn, I was wondering what happenned when I saw your Tweet! I am so sorry to hear about all that mess. I too am familiar with those financial curveballs, but I am a firm believer that life's lemons make us stronger, better people. My faith grows when I'm challenged. I have a feeling yours does too!

Daily Spud said...

So sorry that you had to be the victim of thieving - these things are always unpleasant and never fair. It's some small consolation that you find can find comfort in cooking - if I could find some smoked scallops in a can I'd be comforting myself with this too.

teresa said...

what a nightmare! i'm so sorry to hear about that, no fun!

i'm glad you found a good dish to ease your day!

Pam said...

I've never had smoked scallops but I bet I would love them. This orzo dish looks fantastic Jenn.

Sook said...

Oh that does look incredible! Orzo is one of my favorites! Can't wait to try it!

Teanna said...

WOAH Jenn I'm so sorry to hear that. I disappoints me so much knowing that there are people in this world who willingly hurt people - in any shape or form, not just physically. I'm hoping this comes to a good (and fast) resolution!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I hate that people are so low they have to steal from others. I hope everything works out alright.

This pasta looks great. When I first looked at the picture I thought it was some sort of creamy fried rice.

oak dining room table said...

This is lovely. It really looks so comforting. It feels like home when you eat something like this.

www.encontactos.com said...

For my part one and all must browse on this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger