Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Goldilocks

I apologize for being M.I.A in commenting on some of your blogs these past couple of days. I have been reading many in my spare time. You see... I'm producing a commercial that will be shooting this weekend. So these past few weeks have been crazy in dealing with production stuff. Meaning more production eats posts. Woohoo... :) So I'm pretty much focusing majority of my energy with making sure everything is tip top shape. With only a few days before the current project shoots, my time is pretty much limited. I miss being in the kitchen in times like these. But work has to be done. So yesterday while running errands, I made a stop to Goldilocks.


Yes, like the little girl who ate the porridge of those three bears then slept in their beds until they ran her out. It's a small fast food joint in the Eagle Rock mall plaza. The city of Eagle Rock has a large Filipino community, so it would be fitting to have a good amount of markets and eateries devoted to the foods of the Philippines.

They're really popular in the Philippines. Mostly known for their variety of baked goods like pandesal, ensaymada, mamon, cakes, pastries. They also have a small restaurant side to their business as well. That's were I had my lunch. We (my mom and I) each ordered one item and shared another. 

Paksiw na Lechon

This is very similar to the Filipino Style adobo, except that the sauce in addition to the adobo recipe has sugar and some of the liver sauce. The pork pieces are essentially made in the style of lechon sa kawali. It's really good especially with rice. 

Traditionally, this would be made from meaty pieces of the pork head. Of course, catering to the American palette, they cook it up with a meat of the pig.

Fresh Lumpia

This is the veggie version of the deep fried pork eggrolls (lumpia), Minus the wrapper. It's stir-fried veggies of bell peppers, carrots, tofu, mushroom, onion. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. With a side of minced garlic and covered in sauce made from water, soy sauce and sugar that's been boiled and simmered until thick. The type of wrapper you'd use for this would be those thin rice wrappers. It's then topped with crushed peanuts.It's one of those fork and/or knife dishes.

As you can tell, I've been on a Filipino food craze lately. I still have a bunch of recipes I want to cook up. As soon as the craziness subsides. I promised myself I'd cook something Indian. A curry of some kind. I'm open to suggestions. Hmmm....the wheels in my head are turning, turning, turning.

12 comments:

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

Wow, Jenn. That looks amazing. I wish I knew more about Filipino cuisine. Maybe you could do a few posts for us giving us some of the basics?

tavolini said...

oooh, that veggie dish looks awesome. Yum! Hope production goes well :)

Dewi said...

Yummy!!!! Love that idea of fresh lumpia!

Bob said...

Sounds great. Man, I really need to find some Filipino stuff around here!

Pam said...

Yum - looks like good eats! Good luck with your commercial.

Phyllis said...

So exciting about the commercial, Jenn!!!
Everything you had at Goldilocks looks delicious - I've been lucky enough to try their pastries at a location in Vancouver.

Good luck on the shoot this weekend :)

Ameena said...

I have never had Filipino food before but it seriously looks delicious.

Good luck with your commercial!!

Anonymous said...

I really would like to find a Filipino cuisine restaurant to try some of these specialties. Good luck with your commercial, sounds exciting!

teresa said...

so yummy! i hope you post your commercial so we can see your work, that's so cool!

lisaiscooking said...

Good luck with your commercial! The fresh lumpia looks fantastic. I like the idea of an eggroll out of the wrapper.

OysterCulture said...

Best of luck withe the commercial, that sounds very exciting and I hope you share more details with us. What a great diversion to share the details of your trip to Goldilocks

site said...

Thanks for the post, pretty worthwhile info.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger