Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 15, 2010

A little fun on a Monday night

This past Monday night a few friends and I went to see Butch Walker & the Black Widows perform at the El Rey Theater in Los Angeles. (It was an awesome concert, btw.) Anyway, I hadn't eaten before hand so it just so happens that there's a little tiny restaurant right next door.


The place is called Cowboys & Turbans. They also have a location in Silverlake. It's fusion between Mexican and Indian. Though, the selection they have isn't big. You can choose from naanwiches, tanoori tacos, tikki masala, tandoori burritos, tandoori quesadilla, and a few sides.  I wasn't sure how big certain portions were, so I stuck to ordering from the side dish section. And I'm glad I did.


Masala fries, which is basically regular seasoned french fries served with a side of masala sauce to dip. I shared this one with my friends. The masala had a nice hint of spice to it. i may just have to make some for myself, so I that i can it it with some baked fries next time.


I also ordered a veggie samosa. It may look small in the photo, but that is no optical illusion. That thing was as large, if not larger than the size of my fist! It was good though. I kid you not. The look on my friend's faces as my order came. Their eyes wide with surprise.


Inside were peas and potato with some spices and other ingredients usually found in samosas. Deep fried and served with some sweet chili sauce and a green masala. It was good. It's 'sort of' something you'd definitely need to have a fork hand (...considering the size of it).

After, the concert we hit up a local pub, Timmy Nolan's. I didn't know that place was there. It a quaint  little spot near Universal Studios, but they've got a really great selection. This would definitely be a place I'd like to come back to. It does have a pub vibe to it. They have a kitchen that serves up some food. But by the time we got there, it was pretty late. So afterward we hit up a local Denny's. It's possibly the only thing open in the wee hours of the morning. Plus, it's usually a good late night meal type place. I'll spare you the photo of the biscuits and gravy with hashbrowns. Ok, I'll put just for fun.

A globby mess and what I like to call this one -- "the 3am who cares what" grub. -- It's from the $2 menu selection. Two biscuits, what looks like sausage (I didn't eat the sausage. It was late into the night and eating meat at that time wasn't really appetizing for me) Doused with white gravy and served with hash brown. I did eat the hash browns and the biscuits.

Anyway...  it was a Monday night well spent. With friends and good times!

9 comments:

Bob said...

Sounds like a good time, I enjoy fusion places. They always do the most interesting things.

Phyllis said...

Mexican/Indian fusion - genius!! I love the name "Cowboys and Turbans"! Masala dipping sauce sounds perfect with fries. And pass me that sausage smothered with country gravy (I don't ever stop craving meat, even in the middle of the night LOL).

Pam said...

The fusion place sounds interesting!

I haven't been to Denny's since my bar hopping days. I used to order chicken fried steak and eggs with extra gravy - I never had a hangover the next day. :)

CDC said...

sounds like a fun night with great food!

teresa said...

what a fun restaurant! it all looks delish!

Diana said...

That vegetarian samosa looks awesome! I didn't know there were samosas with peas in them! I think I'd like that quite a lot a lot. :)

That's Ron said...

wow.. that looks great!

OysterCulture said...

Love the name "Cowboys and Turbans" sounds like a place here in SF called Kennedy;'s Irish Pub and Curry House - you got it, its a combo Irish pub and an Indian restaurant smack in the middle. Doesn't get much better.

sophia said...

grub, french fries, and huge-ass samosas. You've fulfilled your requirement for Fried food Thursday. Or should I say Monday? tee hee.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger