Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Panera - French Onion Soup

Thanks for all the support yesterday after my check fraud incident. It's a total bummer that it happened, but there's nothing I can do now. It's being handled by the bank, but the process of dealing with it just sucks.

Yesterday, I woke up with one of those really aweful aura migraines. Also known as a silent migraine. You know when your vision looks like your seeing swiggly-wavy lines, which is accompanied by a headache and possibly other symptons. I've been a sufferer of that for many years. It sucks when it happens. But luckily it isn't as frequent as it used to be. *knock on wood* By coincidence, a friend of mine offered to buy lunch. I was well enough to not to pass up that opportunity. Plus, it gave us time to catch up and chat chit.

We decided on Panera in Pasadena, CA. As much as I love their sandwiches, I wanted something relatively on the light side. I decided soup was the way to go.


I order the french onion soup in a sourdough bread bowl. Onion goodness with croutons and pieces of swiss cheese on top. I mix the cheese in to get it melted good. and scoop up the soup with a scoop of the bread. Yum!! The cap of the bread bowl and insides were also served along with a nice piece of crusty crisp fresh french bread. It's not like I had enough bread as it is, why not add a little more right?  Good thing I love my breads. Go carbs!!!

It was really a soup kind of day with the clouds and rain. The spring rain has been sporadic these past few weeks. I'm not complaining, it's good to have the water for all the trees and plants. I actually like rainy days. Since discovering Panera a couple years ago, it has been one of my favorite place to eat or even...

 
...do some afternoon writing with a cup of their fresh brewed hazelnut coffee with a little milk.

You know...I've always wondered... why do some people order soup in a bread bowl and never eat the bread, when there is that option to have it served in a regular bowl? It's a waste of perfectly edible bread.  I've seen it happen many times. I like to eat up every bit that absorbed the soup. Soft and mushy. I'll even tear pieces of it apart. That's just me and my random oberservation on the bread bowl. It sparked my curiosity.

15 comments:

Parita said...

Sorry to hear about the fraud and i hope your migrane is better now, i know how painful it is as even i suffer from the same. Take care and french onion soup looks yumm, nice way of serving in bread :)

Unknown said...

Hope you are feeling better. Hope that lovely food at Panera cheered you up a bit. I love that place. Have you tried their macaroni and cheese? Its good stuff.
*kisses* HH

Dewi said...

Hopefully your bank can handle this quickly without involving to many headache in your side. I hope that soup will make your silent migraine go away.
Stay well,
elra

Tangled Noodle said...

I used to get those migraines and they seemed to be triggered by certain food additives (e.g. nitrates/nitrites) which I try to avoid.

Glad you felt better to go out with your friend! I love the slice of French bread that comes with a Panera order! I always ask my husband if he's going to eat his piece and he always says, Yes . . . darn. I can't imagine why people would ditch a perfectly good hunk of bread bowl!

Pam said...

I would love a big bread bowl full of French onion soup for lunch today - yum!

Phyllis said...

GO CARBS! And what kind of people order soup in a bread bowl and don't eat the bread? What a waste! And I love Panera. It's also my hubby's favorite place - he says to try the fuji chicken salad.
Hope you are feeling better from your migraine :)

Bob said...

Hope you feel better soon. I also hate it when people don't eat the bread bowl. I mean, cmon, wtf.

teresa said...

i hope your head is feeling better. the soup looks just wonderful!

Diana said...

I do the same thing with the Panera bread bowls - tear off the mushy soupy beats and eat them all! Love their vegetable soup - my favorite!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

First of all I'm sorry to hear about the fraud. That must have been stressful.

I'm glad you got to relax with a nice bowl of soup though! I'm not a fan of French Onion but Panera's is the exception. There's something so comforting about that warm cheesy soup in that bread bowl. I don't get why ppl don't eat the bread bowl either but it's truly delish thanks to all the soup its sopped up! Yum!

theUngourmet said...

So sorry to hear about the check fraud. That stinks! I've never experience a migraine but it sounds just awful. I'm glad you were still able to go out with your friend. French onion soup is one of my favorites. I've never had it in a bread bowl. Yum!

sophia said...

Yo, you have such cute handwriting! I love it!!

I hope everything will get resolved well...this really sucks. Prayers and hugs to you!

French onion soup is my fave soup ever!

Esi said...

I haven't been to Panera in forever, but I always like it when I go. Sorry to hear about your check fraud. Hope it's all sorted out soon!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The soup sounds delicious! I haven't had soup in a bread bowl in a loooong time; and I have never had French onion soup in a bread bowl. And I haven't been to Panera in a looooong time... It's going on my "list!"

Happy Weekend! :)

Reeni said...

I love Panera! I'm going today - there is one two minutes away from my house. Hope your migraine is better.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger