Search Bread + Butter

Monday, April 26, 2010

Seared Ahi Sandwich


After a day of hiking, I arrived home and went straight for the kitchen. I open the fridge and what do I see? (Besides a nearly empty shelves) ... A fresh slab of sushi grade ahi tuna. My eyes widened with delight. *twinkle sparkle* But I would have to wait the next day as it was already late for me too cook something up. Plus, I was tried from the day. I had done a 3-mile hike location scout for a project I'm doing this summer. *hint hint*

The next day rolls around and excitement sets in as I prepare lunch. I turned it into somewhat straight forward sandwich. No lettuce or tomato filling. Just a simple fresh ginger mayo spread. I do a quickly marinate the tuna in some soy sauce with lemon. That's it. Nothing else. Then sear it for close to a minute on each side. Toast up a couple pieces of bread or a nice big roll. Spread some of the ginger-mayo, place a few slices of the ahi tuna and chow down. It a little something I like to consider as sashimi in a sandwich.

Makes 2 sandwiches



Seared Ahi Sandwich

1 fresh fillet ahi tuna - sushi grade
4 slices of bread or 2 kaiser rolls
1/2 soy sauce
Juice of half lemon

Mayo-Ginger Spread
1 1/2 Tbsp mayo
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp hot sauce


Combine the soy sauce and lemon juice in a shallow dish and marinate the ahi tuna on each side for a few minutes.

Heat some olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom) in a skillet. Place the ahi tuna in the skillet and sear the meat for 30-60 second per side. You'd still want the inside to be nice and pink. Once the fish is seared. Let is rest for a couple of minutes on a plate covered with foil to let the juices redistribute then slice into 1/2-inch pieces.

Combine the ingredients of the spread in a small bowl and toast the bread.

Spread a generous helping of the spread on the bread and divide the slices between the two sandwiches. Enjoy warm,

14 comments:

Unknown said...

THat fish looks so beautiful. Just look at the gorgeous pink colour!

Anonymous said...

Sounds terrific with mayo-ginger spread!

lisaiscooking said...

Beautiful tuna, and the ginger may sounds fantastic!

Dewi said...

I like tuna cook like this, it makes the meat so succulent! I'd eat this with rice though.

theUngourmet said...

I'm crazy for seared ahi! Can't wait to hear more about your project! :)

Bob said...

I still haven't tried seared tuna, but it looks gorgeous.

Phyllis said...

I opened my fridge this morning and alas, no sushi grade tuna to greet me, only leftovers! Ginger mayo sounds perfect with ahi.

teresa said...

oh my gosh, this looks awesome! perfect after a long day at work!

Muneeba said...

Now THAT's a tuna sandwich I can get behind!!! Slather on some more of that ginger mayo please! :)

chow and chatter said...

yum love fish sandwiches and your a star nice and healthy keep up the good work

letterstobetsy said...

sushi grade tuna in the fridge that would never last in our house! we would devour that in a day! usually we have frozen stuff and cans left by weeks end! That sounds great what yummy sandwich!
xoxo
KC
http://www.letterstobetsy.com

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Hiking & seared Ahi tuna in one day - sounds perfect! :)

Ravenous Couple said...

tuna is great just seared perfectly like yours!

OysterCulture said...

Nothing but goodness, love the simplicity to savor the flavors. Hope you found what you were looking for (hint hint) =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger