Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lemon and Pistachio Cookies


I remember tasting these cooking at Stir It 28. Esi of Dishing up Delights was the one who contributed to serving up these deliciously yummy cookies. I had more than a few of these over the course the event. I went for seconds and thirds. Maybe even fourths. Suffice to say...I enjoyed them quite a bit. So the day before Easter rolls around and I'm in need to bake something. I barely had time to plan out a meal to cook. I wanted to be sure that I make a little something. Simple and easy, which these cookies were. The original used meyer lemons, but I only had regular one. It still tasted great. with the bits and pieces of pistachios. These are definitely worth making again.

Makes roughly 30 cookies.



Meyer Lemon and Pistachio Cookies
(Adapted from Dishing Up Delights)

3/4 c (4 ounces) roasted pistachios, ground until almost powdery (chunks are ok)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon zest
2 egg yolks
Coarse sea salt for finishing

In a medium bowl, mix together the pistachios with the flour and salt. Set aside

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugars, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about three minutes on high speed. Beat in yolks. Turn off mixer, dump in flour mixture, then beat on low speed for just a few seconds, or until the dry ingredients are absorbed. Refrigerate dough for one hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment .

Scoop 1-2 tablespoon balls of the dough, placing 12 to a sheet. Sprinkle each dough mound very lightly with coarse salt. Bake for roughly 6 minutes Cookies are done when the centers are set and the edges are nicely browned.

Cool on a rack. 

20 comments:

Dewi said...

Combination of pistachio and lemon sounds delicious to me.

Tangled Noodle said...

These look so buttery and crisp! Love lemons and pistachio together; I could see myself easily having fourths, fifths and so on of these cookies.

vanillasugarblog said...

oooo what a good combo Jenn! perfect--i can eat 5 at a time lol

Sippity Sup said...

OK! These are serious YUM. GREG

Ameena said...

I can easily see myself going overboard with this great combination! Good thing I can't eat gluten...sometimes it is a blessing in disguise. :)

Banana Wonder said...

Delicious!! I love lemon and pistachios.

Unknown said...

Wonderful flavours, I would just gobble these up.
*kisses* HH

Pam said...

I've never had pistachio cookies - what an awesome flavor combination you have here. YUM!

Pam said...

Oh, I love both of these flavors and will have to try your cookies. They look very crunchy delicious and my sister in law would love them also!

Bob said...

Those look fantastic, love the dark brown rims. I bet a little chocolate drizzled on there would be nice too.

Diana said...

I love that we can all find inspiration from one another. I think that's part of what's so fun about being a food blogger - being able to share recipes and discover new ways to do things.

♥peachkins♥ said...

The cookies looks delish!

chow and chatter said...

great cookies they look like moravian cookies her in Winston Salem LOL

CDC said...

What a perfect combo!

Kathleen said...

I love that you used Meyer lemon in this cookie. They sound delicious.

Phyllis said...

Love the sprinkle of salt on top!Thanks for sharing :)

Kat said...

What a wonderful combination. These sound delicious.

Reeni said...

These sound yummy! Love the delicious flavor combo!

OysterCulture said...

Wonderful combination - perfect for an afternoon pick me up~

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum... These cookies sound fantastic. I love lemon this time of year, and I'm sure the citrus flavor is perfect with the pistachios!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger