Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pork and Beans with a Fried egg


A good ol' fashioned meal. Think back to the pioneer days. Ok...maybe not that far. Or just imagine those days of camping and all you have a canned goods. Although, this has nothing to do with my I made this dish. Anyway... This is actually one of those  "I'm on a super budget with nothing in the kitchen and the fridge yet a can of ____ is staring at me to make something of it."

That can for me was of pork and beans. I remember eating them slightly heated when I was a kid. This time around I turned it into a little quick "stew" of sorts. I wanted to use bacon, but I didn't have any. Then I remember that I had saved the bacon fat from the last I had cooked bacon. W00T! It give is a nice taste. I kept the bacon fat in the freezer. I knew I'd be using it again. Ha! Here ya go! You can use vegetable or olive oil if you'd like. I served it up with a nice fried egg and a couple slices of toast that i sopped up and sandwich all the delicious liquid. Yum!!

Serves 2



Pork and Beans with a Fried egg

1-2 Tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
1 12oz can pork and beans (Van Camp's)
1 small sweet onion - chopped
1/4 c tomato sauce
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp sugar
1/4 c shredded cheese - your choice
pepper to taste

2 eggs
4 slices of bread

In a small sauce pan, heat the bacon fat or oil and saute the onions until tender. Add the pork and beans and the tomato sauce. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a slight boil then add the mustard and sugar. Stir occasionally.  Once boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer. Stirring occasionally as well.

In a clean skillet, heat up a little drizzle of oil and fry up the egg. The yolk should still be slightly runny.

Toast the bread.

Serve up the pork and beans in a bowl and sprinkle some of the cheese. Top with the egg and serve with the toast.

15 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

hey there cowboy this is perfect off a metal plate and a metal cup of coffee -

Pam said...

Okay, I wish I would have had this for breakfast. I love pork and beans and I love eggs so I know this would make me happy.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I need to go make this for my lunch now!

Phyllis said...

I'll take an order of the fried egg and toast anytime but I just can't bring myself to eat canned pork and beans (too many bad memories from when I was a child when my mom cooked them EVERYDAY). And great tip about keeping the bacon fat in the freezer!

Ameena said...

I do love eggs so of course this recipe is calling to me (minus the meat)! I used to eat Heinz Baked Beans like there was no tomorrow. You've made me miss my old habit!

teresa said...

mmm, my mouth is watering for this! i could just see this with that egg yolk running over all of those tasty beans, delicious!

Diana said...

I love using bacon fat to cook things - it adds such a great dimension of flavor! I should remember to freeze some to have on hand!

Jackie McGuinness said...

We have this with chips (fries) when we just don't know what we want for dinner!

Jackie

vanillasugarblog said...

jenn! OMG, you know what? i used to have this at a diner, but not with white bread with that sweet brown bread. you HAVE to try that. OK?

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I like it-got any left overs?

Reeni said...

This is a good way to make pork and beans more attractive! Looks delish with that toast for mopping up the plate.

theUngourmet said...

This totally reminds me of a cowboy cookbook I checked out from the library once. Fun recipe, Jenn! :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm craving of pork and beans this aftie. A can of hunt's is staring at me from the kitchen..hee

Rachael Hutchings said...

Ok, this is a combo I haven't had since my childhood! Now I'm craving it! Thanks for bringing back some good memories!

tavolini said...

wow, I was just commenting on DoggyBloggy's similar post--Tavo and I eat beans and eggs at least once (if not more) every week. Something so satisfying about it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger