Search Bread + Butter

Monday, April 19, 2010

Great Depression Cooking

I had seen a video once with a lady named Clara. In the video she showed how she would cook simple meals during the Great Depression. The other day, Kim from The Ungourmet posted another video featuring this same lady. I ended up watching almost all the videos.

Check out the you tube channel for other videos. It's really interesting and great. Depression Cooking. It's really cooking at its basics. Here's one using pasta. It's really great. She's like the grandmother you wish you had, if you never knew your grandparents like me.

11 comments:

Bread Bin Alex said...

Great post, thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Very cool. I wish i could learn stuff like this from my grandmother, but she is not much of a cook LOL.

Anonymous said...

I saw it on Kim's site too, this is a great video.

Pam said...

I've seen her videos before - isn't she great!

Phyllis said...

Her pasta with peas looks pretty tempting even though I don't like canned peas. I guess you can't be choosy during a depression though. Clara is adorable, 91 years young!

lisaiscooking said...

I've never been able to cut vegetables in my hands like that--but that's how my Grandma did it!

OysterCulture said...

Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing. A nice reminder that you don't have to go "all fancy" to have a good meal.

OysterCulture said...

Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing. A nice reminder that you don't have to go "all fancy" to have a good meal.

Tangled Noodle said...

That's such a great video! I'm definitely going to check out more of Clara and Depression Cooking. The final dish looks really good . . .

sophia said...

Aw, cool...I don't really know my grandparents, either, since I never lived long enough in Korea...

Oh, thought of you when I read this: http://theroamingbelly.blogspot.com/2010/04/x-rated-eatings-at-marios-italian-deli.html

you live in Glendale, right?

theUngourmet said...

I just love her! It would be great to meet her and eat some of her wonderful recipes! My grandma cut her veggies that same way!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger