Search Bread + Butter

Monday, April 5, 2010

An Easter Meal

I hope you all a lovely weekend. I'm glad that I survived lent.  I had originally planned to cook up a nice big meal, but work has been quite consuming these past couple of week and there's no sign of stopping. I guess it would be good to have someone else do the cooking today. Gives me a break from the hustle and bustle of life.


We decided to eat at Salo-Salo Grill in Glendale, CA. It's a Filipino restaurant. Salo-Salo meaning banquet. Their slogan is "Kung Hanap Ay Lasa" translation: "Where you find taste."

There wasn't much of a crowd when we arrived, meaning we were able to get some booth seats right away. Service quick and prompt. Quite a change from the last time I was there, which has been quite a while. They serve up traditional dishes. We order:

Pancit Sotanghon
Rice noodles with cabbage, chinese sausage, pork, green onion

We ended up taking half of it home.

Pampano
This belly of the fish is stuffed with onion and tomato, seasoned with salt and pepper, then wrapped in some  banana leaf and foil, then finally steamed until tender and cooked.

We ate this one up pretty good. Though, it was a small fish for two people. I really liked it quite a bit. Cooking with banana leaf really does bring a great flavor to foods. It arrived wrapped in a foil pouch, so when you opened it the steam just billows out.

Lechon Sa Kawali
Deep fried pork pieces with skin and meat served with a liver sauce (Mang Tomas Dipping Sauce)

Yeah...what can I say. I love my pork. I love lechon! The crisp chicharron skin with tender meat. Dip it in the liver sauce. Sooo good!! Yum!! You don't really taste the liver in the sauce. But it is a key ingredient along with vinegar, sugar and spices. It brings a nice balances flavor to the fried meat. There was also the traditional steamed rice to make it a complete meal. It's not an asian meal, if you don't have rice and/or noodles, right? My companion for this Easter Lunch... non-other than my lovely mom. You've seen her make a cameo here a few times. Say hello to my mom everyone. :)


It was a nice simple day. For dessert, I had some of the cookies that I made the day before, which you'll see tomorrow. I had a couple of the with those peeps and chocolate. Yum!!

21 comments:

theUngourmet said...

Looks like a great place, Jenn! I love you mom's coat! ;) Happy Easter!

tigerfish said...

The banana leaf must have given exceptional fragrance to the dish.

teresa said...

looks like a fantastic way to spend the day!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks like a nice meal!

Hello Jenn's mom! :)

Have a great week!

Dewi said...

Your mom look so young, healthy and happy. Love al of the food you had for easter Jenn! They look delicious!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Wow, that food looks great! Hi Mom! I hope the two of you had a wonderful Easter.

Pam said...

Looks like a great Easter meal and you didn't have to do dishes :).

Christo Gonzales said...

what a nice easter meal!

Bob said...

Sounds like good restaurant, such different things than I can get here. At least that I know of... I'll have to see if there are any Filipino places around.

Tangled Noodle said...

Hello, Jenn's Mom! 8-)

We went with a Filipino theme for Easter, too - I marinated pork for barbecued skewers. A minor emergency occurred when I thought I wouldn't have enough bamboo sticks, though. I drove around looking for any open store, but the only ones were a Walgreens drug store and a Dollar store, neither of which carried what I needed. Sigh. All's well that end's well - turns out I did indeed have enough. 8-)

Phyllis said...

Your mom is so pretty! I'm glad you got a break from cooking yesterday, Jenn. After reading this post I wish had a Filipino restaurant nearby, the pancit noodles are just my style. And I bet I'd love that liver sauce with the chicharrons!

lisaiscooking said...

Great meal! I want to grill some fish in banana leaves now!

Diana said...

Happy Easter, Jenn! Now tell me, how good did that first bite of dessert taste?! ;)

Daily Spud said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend Easter. If it were me, I'd be tucking into some of that pampano - looks fab!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a terrific meal, I would love to try some of these specialties. Hope you had a great Easter weekend!

Dee said...

Looks like a wonderful Easter meal. We had a great family time together but as I was making dish after dish I wondered why our family had not gone out to a nice Easter meal? I am so happy you did & then shared those fabulous food photos with us. Nice job. I am glad I found your blog. Such intriguing menu items. Now where is that menu....

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Looks like you two had a great meal. Hope you had a great Easter!

sophia said...

Whheee!! I'm so thrilled to meet Jenn's mom....esp after hearing about her from you! I can definitely see traces of you from her! Hee, and gosh, she looks young.

when are we having our next meet-up? haha

Juliana said...

Wow, nice place to celebrate Easter ;-)

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

Aw! I miss Pompano! Happy Easter Jenn!

vibradores said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger