Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Late Lunch

Today will just be a little quickie post. Yesterday was on of those days where the day was bright and sunny and cooking was the last thing on my mind. Got s few errands done and had myself a lovely late lunch with my mom at one of our favorite Cuban bakery/cafe, Porto's Bakery  I've featured them befor. 

They've been in business since 1960. That would be 50 years of great pastries and breads. They must be doing something right if they've been around that long. Especially with long lines every single day. They're known for their breads and pastries like their potato balls, empanadas, guava and cheese rolls, it's a large selection. When we decided on our lunch it was still before the rush hour crowd. I tell you the place can get really packed.


I order the Glendale Veggie Sandwich also known as the Porto's Veggie. This has roasted eggplant, peppers, zucchini with havarti cheese, hummas spread, lettuce, tomato on a wheat bun. Served with some mariquitas, which are fried plaintain chips.


Look at the  veggi-licious sandwich. I do love my eggplant. The bread is just soft enouh that you can have a piece of everything in one bite. Although, I was craving a nice meaty sandwich to get some protein, my ultimate choice was this one. I don't know why, but hey I'm glad I did.


My mom orders the Medianoche sandwich (Midnight Sandwich). She had the other half in her hand when I took this pic. This had slow roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, butter, mayo, mustard, pickles on a sweet roll.

I was able to sample a little bite of this and it was pretty tasty. They also have a really great Cuban sandwich, if you every stop by there. Quite frankly, I love this place a lot fresh made. This is definitely on LA/Glendale spot worth going to.

11 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

Now that is what I call a hearty lunch. Sounds delicious!

Roxan said...

Oh I love love love Porto's! We get their Opera cake a few times a year for birthdays.

Heather S-G said...

I want both!! The bread...yum! The plantain chips...yum! Everything....I need a sammie for dinner :D

zerrin said...

The bread of your sandwich looks just outstanding. I can imagine how soft it is. Never had roasted eggplant in a sandwich, sounds delicious!

Ameena said...

I love Porto's cakes and those little potato balls. I haven't had them since my days at CBS when my co-worked used to bring me stuff from there...oh how I miss it!

teresa said...

that sounds so delicious!

chow and chatter said...

wish this was in my neighborhood

sophia said...

YUUUUMMM!!! Is that the place whose URL I sent to you? Sounds awesome, chomp chomp!

p.s. What is UP with this stupid wind in LA?!!

Pam said...

The restaurant sounds great and the sandwich is making me hungry.

baby cribs said...

I would love to visit this place where you had your delicious sandwich!

The Food Hunter said...

I love Porto's. Don't get there often but when I'm in the area I make it a point to stop.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger