Search Bread + Butter

Friday, March 26, 2010

Calzone


Lately my mind's been everywhere. I'm working on a couple different projects right now, so most of my time is spent getting things together for those. So that uses up a lot of my mental energy. By the time it comes to eat I'm a t a loss as to what my belly is craving. In this case pizza was on my mind again.

Well it's doesn't look like much of the familiar calzone shape. But i like to consider it as one. I used one of those Pillsbury pizza crusts. When you take it out it look square shaped. I halved the dough to make two. Spread some shredded mozzarella, layered on some fresh sliced roma tomatoes and baby portabella mushrooms and some avocado. Why not? If you've been following this blog over the past year, you'd know that I love avocados. Besides it's one of those ingredients you wouldn't necessarily find in a calzone. Let alone as a topping on pizza. To I place accordingly on the dough and seal it up. poked a tiny hold on top to let the steam out. Easy last minute meal for the busy mind.

Just look at that tiny string of cheese hanging in between the two pieces. Tempting ain't it?

Makes two plump calzones


Calzone

1 can Pillsbury pizza dough - halved width-wise
1 c sliced baby portobella mushrooms.
2 roma tomatoes - sliced
1 c shredded mozzarella - plus extra
1 small ripe avocado


Preheat your oven to 425˚F

To make one:
Place the dough flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle some of the mozzarella on one side of the dough.  Leave the other half untouched. Be sure there is a 1-inch space from the edge of the dough. Top a slices of the roma tomato, mushroom the avocado.

Bring the other halve of the dough over and seal the edges. Cut a small slit at the top to let the steam out while baking.

Bake for 15-17 minutes until the crust is browned.

15 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

yummyyy..

Tangled Noodle said...

Gotta love the avocado in there! And yes, the tiny string of cheese hanging in between the two pieces is definitely tempting . . . Why do you do this to me so early in the morning?

Debbie said...

That is one delicious hearty lunch or dinner!

Phyllis said...

Looks amazing. And I can never get enough of avocado!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Mmmmmm-mushrooms are my fave and portobella is just amazing!! Doesn't it take veggie food to another level!!!

Pam said...

Oh Jenn, my stomach just rumbled looking at this tasty calzone - it looks perfect.

Bob said...

You know me and calzones, that looks wicked good! Great color on it too, those Pillsbury pizza doughs are pretty good.

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for coming by Jenn! Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Delicious calzones - I love the avocado in the filling!

CDC said...

love this recipe - calzone with a little different ingredients!

Diana said...

Confession that may get me into foodie trouble: I've actually NEVER had a calzone!!! Crazy for someone who loves pizza and bread!

OysterCulture said...

Love calzone and this sounds about perfect with avocados, we are getting a slew of them here, this might be just the thing.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I've never made a calzone at home. Love your fillings. Sounds perfect! :)

Cookin' Canuck said...

Portobello and avocado - great combination of flavors and textures!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried Calzone. I always skip over it when I look at menus. But making it at home is a great idea because you can put all YOUR favourite things in it. Thanks for the idea!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger