Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Open Faced Poached Egg Semi-Pesto Sandwich


Wow. Can that title get any longer? This is what happens when your brain shuts down unexpectedly. You make yourself a seemingly simple sandwich.

I say semi pesto because this pesto doesn't have any pine nuts. That's one thing i thought I had in my pantry, but alas no sign of any. 

The first time I tried to poach an egg, it almost ended in a near disaster.

Makes 2 open faced sandwiches



Open Faced Poached Egg Semi-Pesto Sandwich

2 Slices of bread.
2 eggs
1 c fresh basil
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 grated pamesan cheese (plus extra)
1 large garlic clove

Note: You may you ready made pesto as well.

Preheat your oven to 200˚F

In a food processor, combine the basil, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese. Blend until it forms into a thick consistency. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Spread some of the semi pesto on the untoasted bread. Coat one side evenly and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast for 5-10 minutes until bread is slightly crisp.

Fill a skillet halfway with water. Add the vinegar. Bring the water to a slow boil.
The best way to add the egg into the water is to crack them into a small bowl, that way you can remove any shell that may tag along for the ride.  Slowly add the egg and reduce the heat to a simmer. For for roughly 3 minutes until the egg whites have set and the yolk remains soft. Cook a little longer for harder yolks.  Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.

Place a poached egg on top of the pesto bread and sprinkle a little more parmesan cheese on top. 

19 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow i want this for breakfast love it

Christo Gonzales said...

I want this too - love me some poached eggs!

Tangled Noodle said...

I've been on an egg-poaching kick recently. Love this open faced sandwich! And I can totally relate to semi-pesto: I had a weird experience with pine nuts a few weeks ago when a batch actually altered my sense of taste!! Everything tasted bitter - ewwww - for about 2 days. Now, I'm shying away from anything with pine nuts . . .

Unknown said...

What a yummy breakfast. I need to try making poached eggs. I do love them.
*kisses* HH

Pam said...

Love it! Adding pesto to the bread is a great idea.

Joie de vivre said...

Jenn,
I can never get my poached eggs to look like this. Do you have a secret? I can't fault you for long names, I have the longest blog name EVER! :)

Patty said...

OMG. I LOVE EGGS! This looks great! I now know what I'm having for lunch today! Yummy!

Phyllis said...

Serious case of breakfast envy today! Semi-pesto sauces sounds delicious. I haven't been brave enough to try poaching eggs yet but you make it sound easy.

Unknown said...

This is like a cliff hanger - you tell us the first attempt to poach an egg ended in disaster. But no description? Come now - I need to hear this story!! :-D

Bob said...

Mmmm, poached eggs. But I want to hear about the disaster too! :D

Joanne said...

To be honest I'm kind of scared of making poached eggs. It's a completely irrational fear though. And I love them. So I just need to do it. This looks amazing!

Sook said...

Oh yum! What a great idea!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

What a delicious breakfast! Perhaps if I ate like this in the morning I wouldn't get sick...:)

teresa said...

oh gosh, just the title had me running over here. this looks amazing!

Miranda said...

yum.
I love poached eggs..I love breakfast sandwiches even more. LOL.
this look great, jenn.

Anonymous said...

Love this breakfast sandwich! Poached egg & pesto sound fantastic!

sophia said...

Perfection. Right there. Over those lovely bread.

The Duo Dishes said...

How did you almost have a disaster? That's the scary part! Egg poaching seems intimidating, but it's probably not so bad after the first time. Nice sammie.

pigpigscorner said...

pesto and poached eggs...yum...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger