Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Guinness Battered Fish Sandwich


I had a few pieces of the Guinness batter fish left over. I figured it was sandwich time. Besides I couldn't think of anything else at the time of what to make with it. Fish sandwiches are good. Beat the fillet o'fish at McDonald's right?

I paired it with some sun-dried tomatoes and lettuce leaves. A little bit of mustard and mayo on a couple slices of sourdough bread and voila. I stuck the fish in the oven for several minutes to re-crisp the crust of the batter. The mircowave would have just gotten it soft. No one likes a soggy crust on anything that's been "fried" or pan-fried. Then I pressed it on ol' georgie to get those press markes and chowed down.

makes 2 sandwiches




Guinness Battered Fish Sandwich

3-4 pieces of Guinness Battered Fish
4 slices of bread
1/4 c sun-dried tomato
lettuce leaves
mayonnaise
yellow mustard

To make a sandwich:
Spread a thin layer of mustard on one slice of bread and a thin layer of mayo on another. Place some lettuce, the sun dried tomato and fish on one slice of bread. Place the other slice on top.

Heat the bread in a panini press or skillet. If using a skillet, apply some pressure on top of the sandwich to give it that panini style look by using a clean plate and put a heavy can on top. Flip the sandwich to cook the other side.

Note: You may toast the bread before assembling the sandwich.

28 comments:

Tia said...

That looks so crisp, fresh and delicious

The Duo Dishes said...

This totally beats McD's! Here's why you can beat out take out any day.

Unknown said...

It does beat McD's - but now that you mentioned the Fillet O'Fish, I've got that song in my head! Maybe I'll change it to: "Give me back my Guinness fish, give me that fish.. Woo!"

Teanna said...

This definitely beats the filet o' fish! But does it have a catchy theme song? haha!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

That's my kind of fish sandwich! Looks delicious! :)

Bob said...

That must have been so much better than a fillet o'fish! Looks great.

Phyllis said...

Haha...like Teanna I can't get that filet-o-fish theme song out of my head. Your fish sandwich probably tastes a lot better though with the sundried tomato and sourdough! Somehow I missed your original fish and chips post so I just looked at it now - yummy!

Ameena said...

I love that you referenced Micky D's fish-fillet. I used to LOVE that sandwich. Until I found out how wrong it was. In so many ways.

Yours looks a million times better!!

Pam said...

Nice - that looks like my kind of sandwich.

the wicked noodle said...

Jen, these look delish!!

Thistlemoon said...

This looks phenomenal! This would totally beat McD's ANYDAY.

Pam said...

Oh, does this ever look delicious! I love fish sandwiches. I have a friend who swears by Mickey D's. I have come to the conclusion she just doesn't know what good food is. ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

jenn you are a rockstar when it comes to sammies!

Debbie said...

Looks like a delicious sandwich. I love fish and can eat it anytime!

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

jenn, please pack this fish sandwich for me so i can take it to work. pleeeeeease?!?

Anonymous said...

Great idea to make a sandwich with the leftover fried fish, sounds so yummy for lunch!

Catherine said...

Oh Jenn this looks incredible and mouthwatering...I love how this looks. Amazing sandwich!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow what a cool idea for a sandwich love it

Black Star Gourmet said...

delish sandwich

Cate O'Malley said...

Oh man, that sounds so good -- and way better than those fast food fish sandwiches they keep advertising on the radio.

Diana H said...

My HS senior son has been in the marching band for years. One of the treats is to get to the schools that serve fish sandwiches. The fish great, the sandwich part could use your help. Looks delicious.

Laurie said...

I love fish sandwiches and yours looks awesome. Thanks for putting a real image in my head of a sandwich I can now imagine enjoying when I hear that song.

That Mickey D's song is making me crazy the same way Barney did when my daughter had an obsession with the purple dinosaur. How can a song from a product you hate so much stick to the brain like overcooked rice like that one does?

theUngourmet said...

Looks a million times better than Filet O' Fish! Love the Guinness and the sun-dried tomato...oh and the yummy bread too!

Bianca @southbay rants n raves said...

Ah yes, a fish Friday feast indeed! Heck it's gone quickly this year but not without all these tasty alternatives to pasta or salads! Thanks for your inspiration!

Michelle said...

Hey Jenn, stop by my blog. I've nominated you for an award. :)

http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/03/another-award-im-humbled.html

OysterCulture said...

Looks amazing and far better than the fish fillet sandwich - how can you go wrong with Guinness anything?

www.huesca-3d.com said...

In my opinion every person ought to browse on it.

Loraine said...

I found a lot of useful data in this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger