Search Bread + Butter

Monday, March 29, 2010

Tomato Avocado Sandwich


This is one of those sandwiches that I ate quite frequently during my post-college days. I ate it quite a bit as a budget conscious strategy. Well, I'm still budget conscious. But at the time it was really a budget crunch especially with just having graduated.I think most of you readers know that I love avocado, so it should no surprise that I'd plop in between to slices of bread. It's actually better than my other sandwich option. A mayo sandwich. Can you guys what ingredients go into that? Anyway...it's always nice to revisit eats that I used to constantly eat on a nearly daily basis.

Makes 2 sandwiches



Tomato Avocado Sandwich

4 slices of bread
1 small avocado - sliced
1 small tomato - sliced
1/4 c pineapple tidbit - sliced
mayo
mustard

Note: You may pretoast your bread before assembling.

To make one sandwich:
Take two slices of bread. Spread a thin layer of mayo on one and a thin layer of mustard on the other.
Place half of the avocado slices over the mayo slice, followed by half of the tomato slices, and half of the pineapple tidbits. Top with the mustard slice of bread.

heat  the sandwich in a panini press or skillet until the bread is toasted. If using a skillet (on medium heat), apply pressure with a place and a 12 oz can over it for 3-5 minutes. Flip and do the same for the other side.

17 comments:

zerrin said...

Looks like a great snack. I used to make a similar sandwich when I was a student. different from yours, I make it with the combination of tomato, cucumber and cheese. Now I must try it with avocado.

Parita said...

So easy and yummy! I just had a sandwich for lunch with some honey mustard sauce and veggies :)

vanillasugarblog said...

pineapple? ok then, i am so IN!

theUngourmet said...

I'll take one for my breakfast please! :P

Hari Chandana P said...

Simple and yummyy... lovely combination!!

Diana said...

So what exactly is a pineapple tidbit?

Love the old classic recipes -- when I was in college, I used to eat a ton of provolone grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Provolone isn't even the ideal cheese for grilled cheese, but I loved 'em!

Ameena said...

I ate a tomato sandwich literally every day for 2 years at which point I OD'd on them and haven't touched them since. But this amazing picture makes me want to give them another try!

Pam said...

I want this sandwich for lunch today. I love avocado.

lisaiscooking said...

Avocado, tomato, and mayo is perfection. The pineapple is an interesting twist!

Thistlemoon said...

Jenn, your sandwiches lately are making me so hungry!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

You already know I love avocado... Looks like a nice sandwich! Love the addition of pineapple... It's like a tropical salsa sandwich :)

gluten free pammy said...

this looks killer!! I grabbed your button, your welcome to come by my site and get my button and check out my new book

tavolini said...

Nice addition of the pineapple! I don't think you can go wrong with anything avocado or tomato :)

(I might want cheese, though)

Phyllis said...

I could eat this sandwich everyday (budget or no budget)!

teresa said...

this is my ALLTIME favorite sandwich, but i've never had it with pineapple, love it!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

One of the best sandwiches ever! You really can't beat tomato & avocado...

relationship said...

I completely agree with everything you have printed here.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger