Search Bread + Butter

Monday, March 15, 2010

Coconut Lemon Bars


The original recipe was from one of the issues of Food Network Magazine. It was for a classic lemon bar. I think I tabbed off nearly half of the recipe in that issue. I still had all that lemon juiceleeft from all those lemons I had received. So when I saw this in the magazine, I knew I had to make it. I prepared my ingredients. The only thing I didn't have was lemon zest. I had juiced all those lemons a while back and I threw out all the rinds. Had I known I needed some zest, I would have zested a few of a couple before throwing them out. So in place of the zest I added come coconut flakes into the filling instead. Give it another level of flavor. These are delicious tart treats.

Mmmm...coconut lemon flavor.

Makes 12-24 bar depending on how big you slice them.



Coconut Lemon Bars

crust:
vegetable oil or cooking spray
3/4 c unsalted butter - 1 1/2 sticks - cold cubed
2 c all purpose flour
1/4 c brown sugar - packed
1/4 c confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar) - plus extra for dusting
1/4 tsp salt

filling:
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 c granulated sugar
1/3 c all purpose flour
1 c coconut flakes
1 c fresh lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 350˚F

Grease a 9x13 - inch pan with the vegetable oil or cooking spray. Then line the pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Grease the foil as well.

In a food process, pulse the butter, flour, sugars and salt until it feels of a dough texture.  About a minute. If you don't have a food processor, mix and mash together with your hands until you get a doughy consistency.

Place the dough in the pan and press evenly, making sure there are no cracks. Place in the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, roughly 25 minutes.

While the crust bakes, make the filling. Whisk together, the eggs, yolks, sugar and flour until a smooth consistency. Add the lemon juice and coconut flakes.

When the crust is finished, remove from oven. Turn the oven down to 300˚F. Pour the filling onto the warm crust and return the pan into the oven. Baked for another 30-35 minutes or until the filling has set.

Let the bars cool in the pan on a rack, then put in the fridge until it firms up -- 2 hours. When the filling has set, remove from the pan and slice. Dust with some additional powdered sugar.

22 comments:

Jamie said...

Great looking lemon bars and I think adding the coconut is brilliant! That is one fabulous flavor combo. I have a bunch of quartered lemons sitting on my counter (I needed the seeds) so maybe I should make these lemon bars? Love lemon!

Unknown said...

What a fab treat. I could probably eat so many of these!

the wicked noodle said...

I love lemon bars! The coconut adds a fun twist :-)

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh, drool! Excellent combination of lemons and coconut. I haven't made bars in ages after a string of failures with the crust . . . perhaps it's time to try again. 8-)

Dewi said...

Beautiful lemon bar Jenn. Adding coconut make it more irresistible!

Anonymous said...

Scrumptious! Coconut and lemon sounds like an excellent flavor combination!

OysterCulture said...

as usual, sounds about perfect, love the coconut lemon combo - perfect for these hints of spring

Mom on the Run said...

Lemon Bars are one of my favorite deserts. I have not made them in such a long time. I also love coconut. Great recipe re-do!

Justin said...

oh man, you wouldn't believe how much i love lemon bars... and i also love coconut, so i guess this would be a winner

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Great combination! This dessert seems like a nod Spring...can't wait!

pigpigscorner said...

A very nice twist! I've yet to try making some lemon bars.

teresa said...

excellent idea adding coconut to the bars, how yummy! and i had a great time catching up on your blog, delicious eats!

Diana said...

I would never think to put lemon and coconut together, but now that you mention it, I bet the combination is to die for!

I'll have to remember these for a post-Lent treat! :)

Joie de vivre said...

Oh crikey, another weakness of mine!

Pam said...

Coconut lemon bars are my favorite dessert - they look amazing!

Reeni said...

These are scrumptious looking! Great idea to add coconut! Hope you saved me one...

chow and chatter said...

wow this is such a cool combo

Lele said...

My stepmother has a recipe for coconut lemon bars and I've been meaning to ask her for it because it is SUCH a yummy combo. Now I can make yours!

lisaiscooking said...

They look great! And, the coconut sounds delicious with lemon. I keep meaning to use some frozen lemon juice for lemon bars and haven't done it yet.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a lovely combo: lemon & coconut (I have just recently learned to appreciate coconut). I haven't made lemon bars in many years. Just thinking of them brings back memories. I'll have to make some again, and I'll use your recipe! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Fun flavor combo in this recipe! I love lemon bars, but I've never had them with coconut as well. Sounds de-lish!

site said...

I read so much helpful data above!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger