Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Soupy-licious

A good friend and I had gone here after a long day of picking up equipment for a video he would be filming. We were starving by the end of the day and one a whim we drove down Lake Avenue in Pasadena one of the first things we see is Souplantion. It's a buffet-style place that serves up some delicious soups. I remember once have a pre-production meeting there once many years ago just for the heck of it.


You enter the place and one of the first things you see are two long aisle of salad. Well, both sides served the same thing. It's a way to keep the people flowing. You pick and choose from premade salads or create your own from a variety of mix-ins. You then reach the cashier and pay. Grab your utensils and cup for a drink.

Top clock wise: Asian Salad with vinaigrette and crispy noodles and wontons, Pasta, salad, Focaccia with cheese, Corn bread, (pickles and jalapeno pepper under the cornbread muffin) Fresh corn and some cucumber with tomato slices.

Then you hit the next section of the place. The Soups. They always have a rotations of soups every time.  On this night, there was chicken noodle, minestrone, old fashioned clam chowder, shrimp bisque, creamy tomato. There were three other ones that I totally forgot because my eyes immediately darted for the clam chowder, then to the shrimp bisque. What to choose...what to choose? Which one should I have first. I went for what was closest to me, which was the clam chowder.

Delicious Old Fashioned Clam Chowder with Oyster crackers underneath.

All the breads and pastas like the focaccia are found next to the soups. In the breads section you'd find a selection of muffins like cornbread, blueberry, chocolate, cranberry, oat.  Pastas were spaghetti, mac and cheese, and one other one that I didn't really see.

Of course I went back for some seconds. That the dangers of going to a place that serves buffet style. You'd be tempted to keep going back... and go back I did.


So for my slightly smaller second round, I went for some shrimp bisque, which I enjoyed a lot. Some good ol' fashioned creamy mac and cheese and a couple more pieces of focaccia. When I came here many times before I'd always buy a bakery bag and fill it with their blueberry muffin and chocolate muffins. It's that good that I'd want to take near half a dozen home. There's even an ice cream machine there. But I skipped that this time. I didn't want to push myself. I was tempted especially with the chocolate syrup conveniently place next to it. A funny thing about the location of the place. It's right next to an L.A. fitness. Ummm...yeah.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I saw a sign that said "Souplantation," I would have to stop by. I love soups and always get them for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I would so love a bowl of hot clam chowder right now!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Sounds delicious! My gym is next to a cupcake store. They bake the cupcakes all day long and whenever you leave the gym you are greeted by the smell of freshly baked cupcakes...

theUngourmet said...

This place reminds me a little of Sweet Tomatoes.

I ate clam chowder at Red Robin a couple of days ago. Their chowder is pretty darn good too!

Phyllis said...

Yum! I would have gotten the clam chowder and shrimp bisque too. And a slice of the cheese foccacia.

Biana @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

This place is my guilty pleasure. I can't get enough of their cheesy bread or soup!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger