Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Guinness batter Fish and (Baked) Chips - St. Patrick's Day Edition


I don't think I need to tell you what day it is, do I? It's time to get your green on!!!!!

I decided to make something simple and a common delicacy to our friends across the pond. Fish and chips. It's good food. Rather than making the usually batter, I decided to make it into Guinness batter fish and baked chips. I fish of choice here are some nice fillets of cod, but you can use any white fish you like, like haddock or tilapia. I bake up the fries first. That would give me time to cook up the fish.

I make the batter and pan-fry the pieces. It's usually deep-fried, but I try as much as possible to avoid it when possible. I like how the batter has a creamy-like texture to is and you can definitely taste the beer after it's been cooked. It's a nice flavor to the fish.


Make sure you have yourself a pint of Guinness today.

Serves 2-3



Guinness batter Fish and (Baked) Chips

Fish
2 fillet of cod, haddock, tilapia (any white fish)
salt
pepper
1 c flour (plus extra for dredging)
1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2/3 c Guinness Stout
Canola or peanut oil

Baked Chips
3 russet potatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil


Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Cut the potatoes lengthwise into thin or thick sticks. You may peel them if you desire. Place the cut potatoes into a bowl or large ziplock bag and add the salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. Toss together and coat evenly. Place the sticks on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp. For extra crispiness, you can place the chips into the broiler for a minute or two. When the chips are done baking, remove from the pan and season lightly with a little salt.

While the chips bakes, cook the fish. In a bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, water. Lightly stir to combine. Then add the Guinness. Mix well removing any clumps. Set aside and prep the fillets.

At this time preheat enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet. You may cut your fish into sizable pieces. Season with salt and pepper and dredge the pieces in some all-purpose flour. Place the dredged pieces in the batter. When the oil is really hot, slowly and carefully place the fish and pan-fry for 2-3 minutes per side. Place the fish on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.

Serve together and enjoy with some malt vinegar, ketchup, or your preferred dip.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Fish and chips is one of my all time favorites. I am surprised you got it so crispy and you didn't have to fry it.
Happy st patricks day.
*kisses* HH

Debbie said...

That is one great dish. My husband loves corned beef and cabbage so we'll be having that tonight but I would much rather have your fish and chips!

Tangled Noodle said...

Hey, that Guinness bottle looks almost empty! 8-D

I LOVE fish & chips but my deep fear of deep frying (and my total failures when I have worked up the nerve) means that we don't have it very often. You make it look and sound easy, though, so I may give it a try! Happy St. Pat's Day!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I haven't tried making fish and chips...I just buy from my fave resto when I'm craving, I guess I'll have to try making my own one of these days..

Dewi said...

I never made this, but am very tempted after seeing yours.

Pam said...

Nice! My husband would be thrilled if I made this for him tonight.

ValleyWriter said...

Fish n' chips is one of my favorite St. Paddy's day dishes. And malt vinegar is a must!!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow heavenly I want some!!!!!

Bob said...

That looks wicked good. I might just have to do that with the other piece of tilapia I have in the freezer.

Sook said...

Oh that looks incredible!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

Just add a little malt vinegar and you'll think you're right there in Ireland with all the St. Paddy's Day celebrations. Erin go Bragh!!

lisaiscooking said...

I love fish and chips, and the Guinness batter sounds great!

Xiao Yen Recipes said...

I love fish and chips! But I have mine with lemonade to help digest all the greasiness.

Diana said...

Hah, I will not be getting my green beer on today, but I could come around for some fish and baked chips! Looks great as usual - you always know how to give a healthy twist to an unhealthy favorite!

Sippity Sup said...

This one is perfect for the holiday! GREG

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Fish & chips and beer sounds perfect! :)

Christo Gonzales said...

tag I'm it! Jenn I saw the first picture and immediately pulled fish out of the freezer to make fish and chips - dang this looks good! This is the first year in forever that I did not make corned beef .....

pigpigscorner said...

Nice one! I've heard of beer batter fish but not with Guinness, sounds interesting.

Brad said...

Yum looks like I could take a bite of the last picture. Thanks for the great recipe and pics.

Miranda said...

First of all, Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!
I love fish and chips. It is one of my VERY GUILTY pleasures. LOL. I could eat it ever night.

Cookin' Canuck said...

I adore fish and chips and this looks like a tasty, light batter.

CDC said...

the husband would love this - i'll have to try it very soon! im happy to not have to fry it!

Esi said...

I didn't have any Guinness today, but I would have felt better about it eating this and knowing it was baked. Sounds sooo good.

OysterCulture said...

After all this St. Paddy's day talk, I've been craving fish and chips, now I have no excuse with your yummy sounding recipe!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Every once and a while I just get a craving for fish and chips!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

YUM! I'm in the process on catching up with everything I missed last week... and I had to stop in and tell you how amazing this looks. And, it's baked? Amazing! Even though St. Patty's day has come and gone, I will be giving this a try!

restaurante arkupe said...

Thank you for the post, pretty helpful info.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger