Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sweet and Sour Crunchy Salad


This is one salad that's full of crunch. There's really not much I can say about this one is that it was crunchy. I'm trying to find more ways to jazz up the old conventional salad. By making different vinaigrettes and dressing or by adding different ingredients I didn't put it in before. I was always a caesar salad kind of girl, so I never really ventured out into trying other varieties. So I mixed up a little sweet and sour vinaigrette to "sort of" give it this salad a nice little Asian taste as well as adding some crumbled tortilla chips for an added crunch. It was also a great way for me to use up some leftover celery and carrots. Even more crunch! Crrrruuuuuunch!!! Can you hear that?

Serves 2



Sweet and Sour Crunchy Salad

1/2 head of medium lettuce
1 small carrot - chopped
1 celery stalk - chopped
1/4 c sliced almonds
1 c grape tomatoes - halved
1 c crumbled tortilla chips

Toss all ingredients together.

Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
pepper

combine all ingredients together and toss into your mix of salad.

20 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

same here, jenn. I'm also a caesar salad girl..

Sharon said...

Looks great was looking for more homemade dressing recipes! Thanks!

Dewi said...

Simple, crunchy and delicious. That is yummy Jenn!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love crunchy salads. I think it makes it more fun to eat. I cannot just eat a huge bowl of lettuce with nothing else...I'm no rabbit :)

Pam said...

I love the textures and flavors of this salad...crunchy, salty, sweet and sour. YUM!

Joie de vivre said...

Salads like these will help you get out of the winter rut too! Thanks for visiting.

vanillasugarblog said...

love that vinegrette. the sushi place where I go has a similiar version to this and they put a ton of dressing on, and I just drink it up (gross I know, but I was the kid drinking the pickle juice) LOL

Bob said...

I'm intrigued by sweet and sour vinaigrette. I need to try it!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love all things sweet & sour. And I LOVE crunchy salads. Looks & sounds great!

Sook said...

Oh I like the sound of crunchy salad... Sounds fantastic!

Phyllis said...

I'm also guilty of being a caesar salad girl. But the crunch of this salad is definitely alluring :)

Lana from Never Enough Thyme said...

You just keep posting one great recipe after another, Jenn. Love the contrast of textures and tastes in this salad. So refreshing and satisfying!

tavolini said...

I've been trying to jazz up my salads, too. Thus far, none have been blog worthy. I like your crunchy Asian inspired idea, though...

Anonymous said...

Love the crunch! That's just perfect for my daughter!

Debbie said...

I can hear the crunch and it is sounding good!!!!

krissy @ the food addicts said...

oooh, so healthy! i should really increase my salad intake!

Sippity Sup said...

So this is crunch, crunch with more crunch on top. GREG

sophia said...

CRRRRrrrunch! I love crunchy salads! Your sweet + sour twist on this sounds absolutely appetizing! This would be great on pulled pork, too!

OysterCulture said...

Looks like a deliciously savory salad - crunchy is a definite requirement for me.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! The sweet and sour dressing sounds so great!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger