Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Creamy Mushroom and Orzo pasta


It's kind of like a risotto. Kind of, but not really. I saw a few recipes out there using orzo as a kind of risotto. I thought that was a great idea. I had the orzo. To the ingredient list were also some baby bella mushrooms that I chopped up. As well as an onion. So I saute the those then added the orzo and vegetable stock. It's still lent, so chicken stock was out of the question. Cook that up until the orzo cooks up and absorbs the stock. then season with the usual S&P with the addition of some dry thyme, oregano and my favorite spice paprika.  To give it that creamy texture i used evaporated milk instead of cream and some white wine. Risotto usually has parmesan in it, which I didn't have. So I used shredded mozzarella. It worked just fine. I was a little intimidated by how it would turn out, yet I ate it all up. Not because I was hungry as heck, but it was really good. A nice hint of the white wine with the mushroom. Delicious.

Serve 2



Creamy Mushroom and Orzo pasta

1 c uncooked orzo pasta
1 12oz can vegetable stock
1 small onion - chopped
8 oz baby portobella mushrooms - sliced
1/4 c evaporated milk
1/4 c white wine
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp dry thyme
1 Tbsp dry oregano
1 Tbsp paprika


Melted the butter in a pot and saute the onions and mushrooms until both are tender. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the orzo and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer. When orzo has cooked and absorbed the stock, add the milk and wine. Stir occasionally and combine and then add the dry thyme, oregano, and paprika. Simmer for a couple minutes before serving.


18 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

Wine with mushrooms is a great thing, and I love mushrooms. Sounds fantastic!

Phyllis said...

Yum! The texture of the orzo looks really creamy just like a risotto. Looks like the evaporated milk and mozzarella did the job! I want some of this right now for breakfast :)

vanillasugarblog said...

creamy and orzo are like pb&j--just perfect together.

Dewi said...

The creamier the more I like it jenn!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I LOVE creamy mushrooms... :) Great dish!

theUngourmet said...

Nice job Jenn! What a terrific combination of ingredients. It looks creamy and delicious!

CDC said...

looks fabulous and filling! :)

Reeni said...

I would eat that all up too! And I was going to ask if you saved me any. Looks excellent!

sophia said...

Love it, of course. I'm a carb-fiend. and I'm glad you called orzo a pasta, NOT a grain. Pet peeve when people call orzo a grain!

teresa said...

the flavor in this has to be exploding! love it!

Sushma Mallya said...

Pasta looks delicious,nice recipe so got to try this one soon...

Tangled Noodle said...

I love creamy pastas!! And thanks for reminding me again to use evaporated milk in place of heavy cream - it's a great sub. Delicious dish all around!

Ameena said...

I love how you make amazing things with what you have on hand. I have never thought of using evaporated milk instead of cream but what a great idea to lighten up the fat and heaviness factor.

Have a great Sunday Jenn!

Unknown said...

Mmm - looks creamy & delicious!

OysterCulture said...

This has stick to your ribs goodness written all over it - sounds about perfect - like the addition of evaporated milk.

The Duo Dishes said...

The wine is the ingredient that cannot be left out. :) Wine and 'shrooms pair nicely.

Muneeba said...

I'm gonna make this, this very weekend!!! Totally irresistible!

posicionamiento web said...

Quite helpful data, lots of thanks for your article.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger