Search Bread + Butter

Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweet Potato Bake (Pizza Style?)


This was my attempt at trying to make a crust out of sweet potatoes. I had 3 of the white variety. I though of making potato chips, but slicing them was a bit of a chore at the time. So I grated and chopped it finely andmixed it up with some olive oile, salt, pepper, and paprika. Baked it until It looked ready. I prebaked it before adding the toppings. It came out a bit soft and it was still soft even after baking with the toppings. But it was actually really good. I used a fork to eat it, but it was definitely tasty. I'll eventually figure out how to properly crisp up a sweet potato in the oven. For now I'm content with some of the resulting dishes I've had.  It was actually fun to tear into it.

Serves 2-3



Sweet Potato Bake (Pizza Style?)

3 small to medium sweet potato (white variety)- peeled grated
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp dry thyme
extra virgin olive oil
1 c Bertolli Arribbiata Sauce
1 1/2 c shredded cheese
1 small tomato - deseeded and chopped
1/4 c sun dried tomato - rough chopped


Preheat your oven to 450˚F

In a bowl, mix together the grated sweet potato, salt, pepper and paprika. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Press down firmly until it forms a crust 1/4-inch thick. Pre-bake for 10-15 minutes.


15 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

very innovative.. love the color.. thanks for the recipe.. :)

sophia said...

So creative! It's almost like a sweet potato hash crust.
What is the white variety?

lisaiscooking said...

I've been wondering how to get sweet potatoes really crisp too. Sounds great as a pizza crust!

chow and chatter said...

oh pretty cool very creative have a great weekend

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

It looks pretty darn delish!

Sippity Sup said...

Another clever meal! GREG

vanillasugarblog said...

i love this. i must try this. you know i love my sweet potato and pizza. very clever chicklet.

Reeni said...

How creative! And delicious! Maybe mixing the potato with a little flour and egg might work to make it more like a dough?

Bob said...

What a great idea! I'm so stealing it. Heh. Maybe hitting it with the broiler at first might crisp it up? Or preheating the pan you're cooking it on?

Holly said...

Interesting!! And it looks and sounds good:)
The Peppered Pantry~

Joie de vivre said...

Interesting! I wonder if you shredded the sweet potatoes and then fried them up like hash browns if they would crisp up?

Pam said...

You are so clever and creative Jenn - this looks tasty.

Phyllis said...

Mmmmm... I can't imagine this NOT tasting good!

Cynthia said...

It totally looks like a pizza! And I bet if you made a huge one it would be fun eating family-style with friends.

OysterCulture said...

What a great idea - love the sweet taste that a sweet potato would add to the mix

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger