Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sukjunamul - Korean Bean Sprout Side Dish


This is probably one of my favs among the banchan dishes served in many Korean meals. Plus, I guess I just like bean sprouts. There used to be this one little restaurant that I loved to frequent and I'd always asked them to replenish the little dish of bean sprout. I'd still eat up all the other banchan dishes, but this would always be one I'd ask for more than once.  I don't remember where I had gotten the recipe below. I found it in my little card box where my chicken scratch looked almost semi-legible. I had gotten it many years ago from somewhere. It was one thing I've been wanting to learn how to make and I never figured that it would be simple and easy to do. Why I hadn't made it before boggles my mind. I'm so glad I now know how to make this at home.

Serves 2


Sukjunamul (Korean Bean Sprouts)

12 oz fresh bean sprouts
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp sesame oil
1 small garlic clove - minced
1 green onion - fine shopped
1 tsp sesame seeds

Bring a small pot or sauce pan of water to a boil seasoned with some salt. Add the bean sprouts and boil them for roughly 2-4 minutes. Drain them from the water and cool. Sprinkle the salt, and mix well.  Let it sit for 2 minutes then squeeze out the excess water. Add the sesame oil, garlic, green onion ans sesame. Toss together. Set aide for 30 minutes before serving. You may add a little more salt or some soy sauce for more flavor.

14 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I usually toss bean sprouts into stir fries and soups, but it looks like a great little side dish, too! For some reason, I am now craving bulgogi . . .

Bob said...

I never thought to make bean sprouts a side on their own, looks great!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

I usually eat bean sprouts just lightly stir fried with garlic and a little light soy but this sounds too good not to try! Thanks for sharing.

Dewi said...

Oh I love this mung bean sprouts. Thanks for sharing the recipe Jenn. I kind of guess that this is an easy recipe, but never really figure out the exact ingredients. So, thanks again.

teresa said...

yum! i would never think to do this, but i bet i could have that whole thing eaten up in a matter of seconds!

Debbie said...

Never had bean sprouts as a side dish, only added to salads. I have to say they look really good and I think I would enjoy them!

sophia said...

I love bean sprouts, too. But for some reason, never liked the Korean kind. I think it's because they usually put sesame seed oil, and I dislike the smell of it. But do you notice that bean sprouts get bad REALLY fast ?

Hey, it was awesome meeting you, Jenn!! We need to have frequent meet-ups, hee hee. :-)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

This is one of my favorite banchan dishes, too! And the toddler can't get enough of it... :)

Ami said...

Great side dish! I have to try it! :)

lynn @ the actors diet said...

yum! i love bean sprouts and this seems like such a super simple recipe. thanks!

Miranda said...

This is one heck of a side dish! I love it!

Laura said...

oh my husband is going to love you for this..or me. We discovered a great Korean place in the city and were delighted by the all the little dishes of goodies. Except the dried fish, I can do without those. :)

Phyllis said...

This is my favorite banchan dish! I've only made it once before and I was disappointed because it didn't taste like the restaurant versions. Can't wait to try your recipe! :)

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

When I was in Korea these were my fave! I've tried making them but never succeed, I'll have to try your recipe!

P.S. I've never heard it called sukju-namul before, just kong-namul (kong means bean). Do you know what sukju means?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger